Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DryBag Primal - Circulation Question

Options
3Pedals6Speeds
3Pedals6Speeds Posts: 439
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I DryBagged a primal today and have it up on a baking cooling rack in the bottom (removed veggie drawers) of our spare fridge. This is the fridge where we keep soda's and extra milk, so it doesn't see a ton of open/close cycles, but probably 4-5 a day.

Should I do anything to partially (not fully) close off the bay where it is to keep all the cold air from spilling out the front of the fridge every time it is opened? I was thinking a cardboard piece rested up against it with 1/2" or so on either side, and the top, to make sure it gets airflow even when the door is closed.

Worrying about nothing, or good idea?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I don't see the need and I have Drybagged 5 sub-primals to date with much-o success. Actually Thea from DrybagSteak says the circulation of air movement from an opening and closing the refrigerator is a good thing for her product.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    I've done the same thing and can attest they are the best steaks ever. The garage fridge is perfect for the job. Just make sure you have your temp where it needs to be (I've forgotten just off hand). I did my rib-eyes for almost 28 days. Next time I'm going longer... or as long as I can hold out.

So bottom line.. you are good to go. Take some before and after pics and if you are really ambitious (like RRP), weigh them for before and after.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    yes - go longer! My benchmark is now 35 days for New York strip loin and 45 days for rib eye. It makes all the difference in the world!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • There's no worry

ever try to cool a bottle of wine real quick or thaw a steak?

These things do not lose or gain temp significantly after ten minutes let alone in the span of time a fridge door is opened and closed. If you don't worry about the same thing with your milk and eggs, and they've never gone bad, why worry about the beef?