Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scary!! First BGE Ribs

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,030
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was my first experience with ribs on the BGE. My second attempt ever with ribs. My first set of ribs didn't even count. They were presauced. I know what you are thinking at this point. He is cooking ribs on the BGE and his first attempt was with presauced ribs? That's not the worst part, the first time was on a imatation Weber Smokey Mountain!!! Yes it's true. Let me save your energy and time, I will punch myself in face after reading that embarassing statement. But that's all I could afford a fews years out of college. Seems like thats all I can afford today! After 2 years of pretending to grill/smoke I decided to purchase the egg earlier this year. I recieved a $50 gift certificate to the local butcher shop with the purchase of the egg. I asked here last week if I should attempt ribs and a brisket for the first time with the gift certificate or stick with the basic burgers/brats etc. Most said stick with the basics. So I went and bought 2 racks of ribs and a brisket! I followed Carwash Mikes recipe for the most part. I made my own rub and didn't have any apple wood. Just used hickory chunks. Overall the babybacks were awsome, but I'm no rib expert. It was a good experience with low/slow technique and didn't hear any complaints when everyone was eating. I will take that as a win in my book!
DSCN8589.jpg
DSCN8592.jpg
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Looking good, WW.

Ribs are like golf, always working to perfect it, but never quite there yet...
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    No worries about learning on the inexpensive equipment. For me it was the Brinkman Gourmet Electric smoker. At this point, I know what to do and how to do it, but have far superior equipment. Good luck!
  • Grregger
    Options
    Misippi Egger wrote:
    Looking good, WW.

However, because of the big green egg, it is easier to be a "scratch" rib smoker than it is to be a "scratch" golfer.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    So the baby backs were awesome, huh, and on your second try. I'd say nice going. Just keep on egging. Oh and, my first egged ribs were cooked for Carwash Mike's memorial rib cook, so you are one ahead of me!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Prime
    Prime Posts: 52
    Options
    Nice. They look good. I am planning my first ribs this weekend.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    People with REAL jobs cannot be par golfers! :laugh: NOT that I would want to.I've boiled,braised,stewed,smoked and fried them little balls,ain't none of em fit to eat.I'll stick to shootin par with a shotgun or rifle.At least I can enjoy the harvest! :laugh: You gonna join us in Janurary???
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Well you liking them the big part of success! Looks great too. Nothing wrong with making your own rub. I just get lazy and find too many ones out there to buy ;)

Hickory works too. Some might say it is "the" way to do it. I find it a bit strong. Fruit woods are awesome.

CWM always told me about a sweetwood blend. Never got my hands on it to try.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Those ribs look great. Good work
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Grregger wrote:
    Misippi Egger wrote:
    Looking good, WW.

However, because of the big green egg, it is easier to be a "scratch" rib smoker than it is to be a "scratch" golfer.

This is true. Trust me....although my last round without the 3 off the tee strokes added, I'd have shot in the 70s. LOL.

Nice looking ribs indeed. Glad you stepped up to the EGG.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Sent you an email. Let me kow if you did not get it!
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    You are one cook closer to becoming an expert. The ribs look good.

You eat with your eyes first.

I didn't see any bones, perhaps they could have cooked a little longer.

Next time you make ribs, call me and I'll stop by and review them, of course I may need a rack or two to form an opinion.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Ribs look good, and as mentioned before, they are hard to perfect. Glad you got the egg, you'll love it, and your cooks will get easier and better as you go.