Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie having trouble with temp control

Options
Texifornian
Texifornian Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought the XL and we did a pork butt for 16 hours. I started it around midnight and I was up most of the night trying to hold the temp to 200 degrees. After getting the coals going and getting it up to temp, I opened the bottom draft door to about 1/4 ", and the daisy wheel just a tiny amount, but the temp kept creeping up about a degree every couple of minutes. Then I closed each of them a bit and it slowly cooled, but keep going below 200 degrees. Basically it just kept going up and down and I could never get it to hold steady at any temperature. It was pretty frustrating, but at least the pork butt turned out great. I'd love to get some tips on how to keep the temp stable

Thanks

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The biggest thing is to make small adjustments and allow plenty of time for the temp to react. Also, different fires and even different eggs sometimes have a sweet spot where the temp stabilizes. Try having a goal of a temperature range rather than an exact temp. If it seems to want to settle at 220,250,270, don't fight it. Set it and forget it. You will never know the difference in final product.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    200 is pretty tough to maintain on my large. Like Bacchus says, try for a range and forget it. I do pork butts around 220-250. I set my remote for low temp warning around 190-200 and sleep like a baby.
  • Texifornian
    Options
    I can tell already i'm going to love this forum. Thanks for the speedy replies. I'll shoot for a range of +\- 20 degrees and see how things go. Brisket will be next!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Texas: Just my advice...Master temp control, and a few butt cooks before you tackle brisket. A good brisket is an ART! A butt, on the other hand, is hard to mess up. Just my opinion...
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    TS
    Chasing temps is a frustrating thing to do... You'll find many post about this and know we've all been there.
    Follow the basics - load the lump, light in three places, leave lid open 5 mins, drop in plate setter and anything else you'll have inside for the cook, close the lid, and leave the top open & the lower vent wide open. Close the bottom vent half-way when the temp gets to 150, close it half the distance again at 175, and drop the daisy wheel with only small holes open at 200. You'll continue to close each as you approach 250 and then don't touch anything for 30 minutes to allow the air flow and lump burn to stabilize.
    When you've got it stable at the desired temp for 45 minutes without adjusting - drop the meat in and DON'T touch the settings - it will recover over the next hour or so...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'm assuming that you calibrated your dome thermometer before your cook, and that you realize there is a substantial difference in grid temperature and dome temperature.

That being said, it will take a very long time to reach 190° to 200° enternal temperature if you are cooking at that temperature. Most of us cook butts and briskets @ 250° to 275° dome temperature.

But if you really want to do it right and do yourself a favor at the same time, get yourself a Stoker or BBQ Guru temperature controller. Worth every penny.

Ain't all-nighters fun...

Spring "It's All Fun But Some Is More Fun Than Others" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Texas Station, Welcome to the forum. :)

For a butt cook I get my large egg stabilized around 250 degrees. That way I can get my butt to cook to an internal temp of around 195-205 degrees at the grid.

You will be fine and after you have done a few butt cooks you will get better at temp control. Tim
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    200 is very difficult to maintain, a 250 dome will work for most everything. If you are set on 200, a BBQ Guru or Stoker would be the best bet. I also completely agree with practicing on butts first, and save the brisket for last. Brisket can be a very tough cook, but also thoroughly rewarding when done. No need to rush right into the brisket and risk disappointment.
  • Millzy
    Options
    someone on this forum replied back to my temp/fire question when i first started and stated to google 2 words "elder ward". Print it out and have it handy.
  • Texifornian
    Options
    Lots of great advice..thanks again! Just curious, but what would make brisket more of a challenge than pork butt?