Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Boston Butt prep Question

Blizzard58Blizzard58 Posts: 35
edited 5:22AM in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if you were supposed to cut excess fat of before applying the rub
·

Comments

• crmiltcrmilt Posts: 108
    I have done it both ways. Most recipes I have seen here on the forum say to leave the fat cap on. Last time I cut it off in order to get more bark. I am going to cut it off again tomorrow.
    __________ Chris
    ·
  • If I leave cap on do I cook it cap up or down
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,377
    I was taught fat cap up. Most around here disagree. I tried it once with the cap down. Didn't really notice any difference.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • I like the cap up.
    ·
  • I find that the fat will render into the meat on pork and not so much on brisket, so I like fat up on pork and fat down on brisket.
    ·