Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza 700 Degree cook

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used Videalia1 caputo oo dough recipe. cooked at 700 for 3 min. Next time I'll try 600.
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg

Comments

• HungryMan
    Options
    Thanks, still working on the bar raiser.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks delicious!! My kinda pizza (except I add fresh basil). What was wrong with 700°?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HungryMan
    Options
    I forgot to buy fresh basil. couple of hot spots on the bottom. Not a lot. I disagree that you have to heat an egg for a whole hour prior to cooking that high. The stone was raised by green feet. I like the more traditional pepperoni and onion. I will add that next time.
  • Groundhog66
    Options
    Looks great, where might I find that dough recipe?
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    The crust is looking good. I picked up some caputo 00 and it really makes nice dough.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Let me find what file I have it in and I'll e mail it to you.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    HungryMan wrote:
    I forgot to buy fresh basil.

hahaha. That, of course, has NEVER happened to me! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Al looks real good, what is wrong with it?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HungryMan
    Options
    nothing really. Just a couple darker spots on bottom.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I used 80/20 mix. the 20 was high gluten
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Wondering why 600° that pie looks fantastic.

Kent
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    I find 650 works well for me. Have a harder time getting to 700 so I just add a minute or so to cook time.
  • Large Marge
    Options
    that looks really good! I've tried going that nuclear too. Have also tried going "naked" without platesetter--getting stone up high enough or the coals down low enough seems to make this doable and the stone using an IR thermometer gets up to 600+. For most crusts, 550 seems to be a good stone temp to achieve. With the 00 flour you can go higher. I have a few 00 doughballs fermenting in the fridge for the weekend, will post as well- will try one at 550-600 and one more nuclear. A big problem we seem to have is opening the dome- we lose a lot of top crust cook while the bottom gets nuked. That's why the lower temps for longer (5-7 mins) seem to yield more consistent results. Good cook though!
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    that is a fine lookin pie!
    context is important :)
  • HungryMan
    Options
    That was my thought. I "think" the stone does get hotter than a pizza brick oven. The coals in a brick oven are not right below the cooking surface.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Large Marge pretty much stated why.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    It looks good Al...overall how did you like the crust? and yes I agree the temps are the tricky part after the dough of course......it seems like mine cooked at 500-550
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Options
    I bought some Caputo 00 flour so I can try pizza myself. I can't wait to see how it goes. I'm afraid to invite company over for pizza until I've tried it a few times. I wouldn't want to have to call out for delivery pizza after promising a home cooked one!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Al, it looks like an authentic Neopolitan pizza! :) Salute.

Fabulous pics! Sure hope you and Vidalia1 team up and make some for the mini fest.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    to get what you want you have to increase the heatflow, the platesetter being flat is working against you forcing the heat downward. the fresh mozz always looks nice but if you buy the stuff in the deli section and shredd it yourself it helps with cooking the top of the pie faster.try one at 600 and then again at 900, the crust is alot different. you did get some nice charring to start on the crust, i like that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I always wanted to cook a pizza in under 3 min. Just some parts of the bottom, not much, was cooked a bit more than I would want. I think I might do the same temp next time and change the setup. I did legs down and stone on the green legs. Unlike a real brick oven, the heat from the bottom heated up the stone a little to much. I need more space between platesetter and stone, green feet not enough.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Mini fest will be a couple chunks of meat and Roasted corn from Ohio. I will be in the pool more than standing next to the egg. I will also need several umbrellas. For my drinks.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    It's easy. Just a bit wetter.