Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hit The \"Large\" Jackpot

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,030
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you have a smartphone you need to download the Craigslist application. You can type in keywords such as "Big Green Egg" and it will alert your phone everytime the word is posted in your area. My alert went off on my phone that Craigslist had a hit. "Large Big Green Egg - $200" What? No way! Opened the link and started reading the post. Kept reading the post expecting it to say, "droped the egg and cracked in pieces". Had to re-read post as fast as I could so I could be the first to e-mail. "Large Big Green Egg comes with 2 bags of lump, and a ashtool. Go check out the Big Green Egg website for more details on what this grill can do". I then left my name in the e-mail and had to play the waiting game. Half hour later I get the phone call and expert to hear him say he just sold it. "I have the egg still available. If you wan't to come and pick it up right now you can. I know you said asap". Yes! Jackpot! (In my head) "Should I reply to the others that you are picking it up?" No I'm heading out now. (NOOOOOOOOOO!!! please don't look at any other e-mails. I can just see the next e-mail offering him $400 for the egg. All this in my head during the conversation.) Said he was flooded with other e-mails. Jumped in my truck from work and picked up some straps and blankets from my house. Don't think I could have gave him the cash any quicker to call it mine. Strapped it down in the back of the truck bed. Did a real crappy tie down job and prayed the straps would stay in place. Ran out of straps. One of the straps would not tighten very well out of the two straps I had. The 7 miles of driving never seemed so bumpy and hilly before. Made it home. One strap had hardly any tension on it. I would bet 5-10 more miles of driving would have had the egg on it's side. So I'm pretty excited my large came home in one piece. The owner said the egg was 6-7 years old. A different style then my other large egg whats 4 months old. It has sat in the rain it's whole life. The bands on the egg are rusty and the bottom draft door is rusted and needs replacing. The gasket has seen it's better days. Can the band be sand blasted and cleaned up with some paint? I also asked the owner about the daisy wheel. Seemed kind of confused. Didn't know what I was talking about. That was the only missing piece. Did the older eggs not come with the daisy wheel with the purchase? I would assume they did. I can also guess why he didn't use it very much if he was confused by the daisy wheel question. But for $200 and a little elbow greese, I should have a nice older egg.
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Congrats on the jackpot. ;)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Congrats on an eggsceptional deal! The older eggs did not come with the daisy wheel, it was optional at additional cost.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I need to get that app for my iPhone. Congrats on that deal.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    6 or 7 years old should have had a daisy wheel..maybe 10 years old would have had just the slide top as opposed to the DFMT....originally that bands aren't painted, they are powder coated, not sure how well paint will hold up or if you wanna spend the cash and update it to the spring hinge...sounds like you made a great score...also you do know that the lifetime warranty is void on a used egg...just for the record..
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Alright, Good for you. Don't forget to update your profile so others know what eggs you have. Welcome to the multiple egg family. ;) Now you can watch for a used nest for it... :woohoo:
  • reccitron
    reccitron Posts: 176
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I didn't even know Craigslist had an app. I did a search and found a few. Which version do you recommend?
  • FF/Medic Egghead
    Options
    Thats my same story!!! I have bought 2 larges that way, the first I got for $275 with a rib rack, ash tool, 3 bags of wood, 2 bags of coal, daisy, nest. The second I gave 480 for.. Both from craigslist, the only two I have seen priced at a reduced rate in as many years. Godd Job.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    DFMT's are cheap.I have an Xtra you can have if you pay the shipping.For 200 dollars,screw a warranty. ;) Good score!!! PS the shipping would probably be more than a new Daisey top! :huh:
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Options
    Is your phone an Apple? If so do you remember the name of the app, or if it was a free app? I have a Craigslist app but it wont search postings like that.

Thanks for any info.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    The Craigslist app I use is Craigsnotifica 2.60 (Free- As long as you have the internet plan) I have a Android phone. Iphone may differ?

Where is the best place for egg replacement parts? Thanks!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Nice catch, congratulations. The only thing better than one egg is two eggs.

Kent
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    WeberWho? wrote:
    Where is the best place for egg replacement parts? Thanks!

Go to your dealer or call the mothership. Tim :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Yur local dealer or contact the Mothership.
  • Critter
    Critter Posts: 35
    Options
    This is my first post here but had to say that this is the same way I got my large egga about two weeks ago minus the phone app.
    I was lucky enough to be on craigslist at the right time and picked up a large (supposedly 3 years old) with the grate extender, daisy wheel and a plate setter for $230.00. Then a couple of days ago I picked up a large nest on Craigslist for $60.00. I spent a little money on some sandpaper and high temp paint to refurb the spring band that was a bit rusted in spots but not too bad. So for about $300 total I got a large with a nest and some accessories :cheer: . Trying my first cook this weekend :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Critter. Post you cook with some pic's as well. Tim :)
  • Critter
    Critter Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to contributing to the forum.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    sounds older than 7 years, the bottom vent has been stainless for longer than that. is it ceramic or clay, any pics
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Don't worry about the daisy wheel. LawnRanger uses rocks on top of his for a daisy wheel (photos to follow if Mike is online).... :silly:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LoneStarEgg
    Options
    Dude, did you wear a mask when you picked it up, what a steal.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice! Congrats!!

Ok, I'm in over my head here, but I thought I'd mention it. When did BGE change from clay to hi-temp ceramic? Is it possible this one is old enough to be clay? How does one tell the difference? Isn't there an issue with cooking over 300-350° with the clay eggs? Not that that's bad - you gotta cook ribs'nbutts'nbrisket, right?

Hopefully, someone who actually knows about this will chime in. Would hate to see it crack if it's clay!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    Options
    The early eggs were made from clay. (1970's) I believe my egg is early 2000's. The egg I bought has the older style "scissor" bands. I think they switched to the new style bands around 2005? He said the egg was 7 years old.

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Okay. I really didn't know specifics on the clay thing - just heard about the older ones and would really hate to see anyone crack an egg wide open. Better safe than sorry. Enjoy!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Sorry - repost.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    I don't believe this post will answer your question but it is interesting to read. Thia is a post that took place in February of this year. Tim

How to tell if it's ceramic or clay?

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=817253#817253
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    mine was an 2002 with mexican made bands, i think they started in 2001 with the spring bands being made here.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it