Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wood swap anyone?

68rustang68rustang Posts: 38
edited 1:29PM in EggHead Forum
Is anybody interested in trading wood chunks? What I am proposing is I'll box up and ship you a box (based on weight or size) of ~2.5" chunks and you do the same in return. I am in Northern Ohio and have ready access to Cherry, Apple, Oak, Mulberry, Maple and soon a bunch of fresh cut Hickory. I am not talking about large quantites, maybe ~5-10 lbs. I am just looking at ways to experiment with different types of wood that aren't generally available around here. Yes I know I can buy chips and chunk online but where is the fun in that?

I am really interested in Alder, Mesquite, Guava and Pecan but will trade for almost anything I don't already have.

Any takers?

- Eric

Comments

• Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I have alder trees. Would I just chop up some branches or how does it work? I'd be interested in mulberry as that's the only tree we don't have around here that I know of. Or maybe maple as I assume plain maple is dif than japanese maple!
  • Basically, that's it. Whatever I can send UPS for ~$10. Most of my stuff is cut into ~2.5" or 3" cubes.

If interested shoot me an email.
  • You have mail.
  • So do you :)
  • back at ya.
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I've got a dirt devil vacuum cleaner box full of Pecan. Where northern are you? I'm in Dayton.
  • Just south of Cleveland in Brecksville.

I was going to trade LoneStarEgg for some pecan but if there is anything you are interested in he had some peach as well.
  • bitslammerbitslammer Posts: 818
    Just an FYI ... not a great idea to move wood out of Ohio.

[ul]http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/5066/Default.aspx[/ul]

The Emerald Ash Borer is only 1 of a few species that can hitchhike on wood.

http://www.invasivepests.org/products/gallery/regionlist.html
  • jonboyjonboy Posts: 163
    You might consider using the flat rate boxes at the post office. You can put in quite a bit of wood in one of them, up to 80 lbs if i recall.
    jon
  • The wood has not been fumigated or treated so I can't absolutely guarantee there aren't any bugs. However, it is cubed into ~2.5" pieces that don't show any signs of bug activity. Logs or large splits (firewood) would definitely be a concern.

I am glad somebody brought it up though so everyone is aware. Don't trade anything that shows signs of bugs!
  • bitslammerbitslammer Posts: 818
    68rustang wrote:
    The wood has not been fumigated or treated so I can't absolutely guarantee there aren't any bugs. However, it is cubed into ~2.5" pieces that don't show any signs of bug activity. Logs or large splits (firewood) would definitely be a concern.

I am glad somebody brought it up though so everyone is aware. Don't trade anything that shows signs of bugs!

Remember that in addition to bugs there are things like blister rust, cankers, wilts and many other molds, fungus, bacterial and viral pathogens that can be transmitted. If you're going to trade wood make sure you know the source and don't send chunks of a tree that died a mysterious death.
  • That is another good point. Either I or my brother in law have cut all my wood ourselves from our own healthy trees, mostly storm damage, except for the Hickory. That is coming from a co-worker that needs to clear the way for municipal sidewalks, but again, the trees are healthy.