Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay I'm Sold but help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I am going to order a BGE & nest with wings from American Best BBQ, $749.00 plus no shipping fees, besides the charcoal what else should I buy to accompany this little gem ;) Thanks for your input.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    M.J. Wilson,
    don't go nuts right away![p]just maybe an ash scoop.[p]maybe a platesetter (tho you can do great with cheapo firebricks), and that's IT....[p]that's a minimum. you don't truly NEED anything else.
    but you sure will get plenty of recommendations![p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    M.J. Wilson, great, great decision. This forum would not lead you wrong. I use a second top grid quite a bit, raised by 2 firebricks, and I also use my platesetter quite a bit.
    Scott

• Thanks everyone, my husband is a barbecue junkie, this will be great!
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Borders,[p]Platesetter, ashtool, grid extender. And a bag or two of smoking chips or chunks. And a cover. I would definitely get a cover.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    M.J. Wilson, get a lawnranger grid lifter with his name on it. lifts grid, cleans out the ash, and stirs the lump. attach a beer opener to the leather strap

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    M.J. Wilson,
    I agree with stike - don't go crazy right away (spread it out - ha ha). Really though, I know what you are talking about. I bought my husband his (our) Lg Egg for his birthday this year and I was clueless on what else to get. Since we've been using it for about 5 months now, here's what I recommend:
    1. an ash scoop
    2. If it's going to sit in the open I'd get a grill cover (pretty inexpensive and worth the protection)
    3. possibly a plate setter (this is a device used for "indirect cooking" methods) and something we use quite often.
    4. Grid Extender - useful for cooking multiple items at once and for indirect cooking.[p]Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of other "toys" to purchase along the way, but I'd wait until you/he start using it to see what else you need. Oh, you might want to get some wood chips for smoking also.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    M.J. Wilson,
    Definately consider the platesetter if they will include that under the free shipping. I have both a pizza stone and the platesetter and use the platesetter more. Upside down on the firering and it will hold your drip pan for indirect cooks. Sit the legs on the fire ring and cook your pizza on top. They should throw in the ask rake as part of your package. If not, it is a useful tool.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]You goober. I read this post not knowing it was from you. I'm reading it thinking "man, this person knows their eggcessories," then I look up and it's from you. [p]quit messing with my head like that. [p]p.s. I'm not a smart man, jenny.
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    I use a small garden trowel for an ash tool.
    The webber dome cover works great and covers a majority of the egg.[p]Just my 2 cents.

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    M.J. Wilson,
    A digital camera to take pictures of the food you cook and to share with us :-)
    Welcome aboard :-)
    dublin

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    M.J. Wilson,
    visit our friends web page and you might wanna personalize the Egg using a few of his Products. I'd start with a Custom Handle. Good Luck

• www.lawnrangerbbq.com

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    A probe thermometer (cable type or remote) is very handy.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • egghead2004
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Yeah, that's a biggie. I'm suprised it had not come up yet.

• Eggsellent
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Yep - this is another great item. I've seen them all over, but we got ours at Williams Sonoma. By the way, I saw a new one there that has 2 probes for monitoring multiple cooks! Hmmmmm - might have to get that one!

• M.J. Wilson, plate setter, raised grid, food saver, maverick wireless remote probe, thermopin, in that order.