Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to avoid hot spots?

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sometimes, when I'm doing a lot of food at once, I notice that the heat isn't exactly even -- one area of the grill is hotter than another. It's not a big problem -- I just move the food around so that everything gets done at the same time. But is there a magic trick for getting really even heat?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I get hot spots when I first fire up. As I approach the target temp, I stir the coals to even up the heat.[p]Ken

• smokeydrew
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    I've read several times that if using a platesetter to put one of the legs pointing toward the hinge to reduce the natural hotspot in the back.
    -smokeydrew

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Prof Dan, you can use the naturally ocurring hot spot in the back for cooking larger pieces, and when cooking turkey you can point the legs toward the hotspot to get them up to temp quicker. stirring the hot coals before cooking helps, but the area in the back is always hotter in my egg.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Prof Dan,[p]If you are talking about direct grilling with a full grid of food, yes, there is a way to get even heat. Start your fire with a charcoal chimney and you will get much better results and use far less fuel. You won't have to move your food around as you will have even heat much quicker than any other method. Just try it!![p]Dave

• usa doug
    Options
    smokeydrew,
    I'm with you Smokeydrew.

• Mark from Utah
    Options
    smokeydrew,
    Most of my cooks are with the place setter so I am appreciative of your tip. Mark from Utah

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    Another thing not mentioned is to buy a weber grid (18inch)with the upright handles and reach in and turn the whole grid at certain intervals (with hand protection of course).
    That does not do the flip, but does the rotation around the hot spots.
    Bob