Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Yankee\'s first Packer Brisket

Options
2»

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Rebecca:

Not really sure about the trimming (I thought you did just fine)...but I can bring a BBQ Guru so no one has to do the overnight watching ;):)

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    LC (and Bubba Tim), I really appreciate your help and advice. Maybe you could have a brisket trimming class at the Florida fest?????

At least the family enjoyed the Q.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    :blush:

TT, thank you for the midnight food safety intervention. The bacon nitrates didn't get do my family in and now they are spared from ptomaine because of you.....what am I supposed to do?

Seriously, I will always place water in my drip pan. You would not have believed the flavor of the au jus. It was incredible. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    EggSimon, where were you when I needed you?

I had tried to time the cook to foil the brisket and place in a cooler with some fire bricks and take to the lake 1 1/2 hours away. My brisket was onery and finished several hours earlier than anticipated. Things would have been fine, but my family wanted to stay out on the water longer and did not want to come in for dinner at the originally planned time. I did not think I could safely hold the brisket for more than 6 hours. So I placed it in the fridge, triple wrapped in HDAF. Then I drove it to the lake on ice and placed the foil packet in the oven and reheated it at 300 degrees until warmed through. I should have added some of the defatted drippings to the package, but I didn't. Although it was moist and tender, it wasn't near as good as the sample I snarfed when it came off the egg.

How long can you hold a brisket? I suppose if I had placed a thermomter in the cooler and documented that it was not below 140 degrees for 4 hours it would be kosher.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks Deane......next time I'm going to charge bill for the entertainment. :woohoo: What a royal mess. Can you believe he gave me an injector without an obturator???? :huh:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Howdy thirdeye! :) Well that's a new one to me injecting through a plastic bag. I will definitely do that the next time. No more marinade on the ceiling for me.

I placed the flat in the fridge after wrapping in foil because we were not going to eat unitl 7 - 8 hours after it was cooked. I didn't think it would keep above 140 degrees in the cooler for that long (even though I had hot fire bricks). So I put it in the fridge, unsliced. I took a little chuck of the flat for a cooks treat after I seperated the flat from the point. Like I said, I think that I left some flat with the point. I did not slice the flat prior to serving.

I welcome your response to my post. Your expertise is greatly appreciated and I hope to meet you at a fest one of these days! :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Beli, I thought at least I would get a yabadabadooooo out of you, lol
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Howdy Texas Troll, aka Chubby,

Look what I came across. The Chick's lookin pretty good, but you, my friend, need a hair cut!

Troll.jpg

I'll give you a ring this evening....or at least I'll leave some music on your answering machine, lol.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    830e8564.jpg

Yeah, 7 hours might have have been pushing it a little.

Even though you didn't slice the flat, you still have to be careful when removing the point for maximum moisture retention. I will rest the whole one for at least an hour before the separation. The natural seam will be very obvious when it's done, and try using the spine of your knife, (that's the side opposite the cutting edge) just work it into the seam and feel your way along. This way you are not actually cutting anything.

brisketflatpoint-2.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks Ted :) , this was my first taste of burnt ends. They were yummy, but definitely not for the calorie conscious, lol.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Maybe by Yankee standards Bacchus, but I have a ways to go before I become an honorary Longhorn!

Thank you for your kind words, hope all is well. :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Steven, was your second sentence a statement or a question? I couldn't tell with the emoticon you chose. ;)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    thirdeye, thanks for the pointers and the pics! I'm going to get this brisket thing down!
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    thirdeye, thanks for the pointers and the pics! I'm going to get this brisket thing down!
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Mouth watering Rebecca!
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks Jon.....I saw from the pics that you had a great time at the Denverfest! :) Hopefully I'll make it back out to my old stomping grounds next year.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rebecca,

Statement. I used butter in the injection too. Didn't see where you commented about your ceiling but it is a messy process, best done out of doors.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Yeah, I've found cooling a brisket isn't a good idea unless it has a date with a meat slicer. Warmed cooler will hold it for hours.
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm in the market for a meat injector. Do I need one of those 44 magnum-style injectors like you have or can the hypodermic style ones that are smaller and cheaper get the job done?
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Great job. Smokin a "beast" is the hardest of all cooks to master. IMO.. I have had great brisket cooks and other that found their way into "brisket chile". If your really nice to me at the mini fest next month, I may let you look over my shoulder when I do a large CAB Beast for some pointers. Deal? :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Lesson 1, Drop the knife! :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    I don't really know. From experience you can not use a 26 gauge needle. However, you can use an Illinois Bone Marrow Needle with a 60 cc syringe.

I suggest you email lowercasebill through the forum regarding the Spitfire magnums.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Tim, I promise to 'drop the knife' is you stand next to me.... :evil:

Looks like I'm going to real nice to you at the minifest next month. Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. :lol:

If you need a haircut or a shave, my Shun is waiting. :woohoo:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Probably my favorite way to eat brisket is cubed up and sauced..... so I tend to cube even the flat alot of times. No foul in my book :woohoo:
  • KB
    Options
    thanks. I found an all stainless needle and 2cc cartridge on Amazon with 28 positive reviews. I think I'll try that one and see if it works for me. I like ribs and cook a lot of pizzas so I might not use it as much as others do. Also, I read in the reviews that you can decorate the ceiling with this smaller unit while trying to inject the meat. Would you recommend wrapping a towel around the needle to prevent spurious deposits on the surround?
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    KB, this was my first experience with this device and I didn't bother to read the directions, as I am used to working with long needles to implant tumors. Well, the injector that I used does not exactly operate like our medical ddevices. I don't think a towel would have prevented it from squirting onto my ceiling. It was purely operator inexperience and error. I think the next time I will do better. It made me feel better to hear that Little Steven has had a similar experience, lol.

Here is the Spitfire link if you are interested: spitjack.com
  • KB
    Options
    thanks for the link