Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt?

Options
volsegghead39
volsegghead39 Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I am sitting here thinkng about football season and know that I want to try my hand at a butt one weekend. I know the dome temp. needs to be about 250 and the cooking time per pound is approx. 2 hrs. I will keep this short w/ just a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to on this forum...

1)any prep work on the butt before putting it on the egg? (i.e. fat need to be cut off, etc..)

2)Plate setter position-legs up or down?

3) Drip pan w/ wood chips in it?

4) Good rub recipes?

5)Recommended size of butt?

6) Bone in is better I presume?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    volsegghead39 wrote:
    Hey guys, I am sitting here thinkng about football season and know that I want to try my hand at a butt one weekend. I know the dome temp. needs to be about 250 and the cooking time per pound is approx. 2 hrs. I will keep this short w/ just a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to on this forum...

1)any prep work on the butt before putting it on the egg? (i.e. fat need to be cut off, etc..)

Leave fat on - it will render

2)Plate setter position-legs up or down?

Legs up

3) Drip pan w/ wood chips in it?

Smoking wood on the lump
    Drip pan supported off the platesetter with something - no liquid (foil wads will work)

4) Good rub recipes?

Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, John Henry's Pecan, Bad Byron's Butt Rub

5)Recommended size of butt?

8-9 #

6) Bone in is better I presume?

Yes

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of the help in advance.

For good bark - go heavy with the rub
    I like kind of a vinegary sauce after pulling like Blues Hog Tennessee Red
    Make sure the egg is well stabilized at 250 before you go on with the butt

Good luck with it
  • [ol]
    1. I like cutting off the fat back. Don't have to but it saves you from having to do it during the pull
    2.I assume down (I have an AR) to give room for the drip pan.
    3. Chips in drip pan??? NO. Throw a good couple handfuls of chips on top of the lump. People say to mix it but I don't agree, they should be on top. No need to soak them because the smolder is controlled by the anoxic environment at the top of the lump.
    4. Google. I think the naked whiz has a solid one.
    5. HUGE - 9lb butt!! WOOP!! freezes well for sandwiches later.
    6. Doesn't matter but don't bother cutting the bone out.

7. EAT 'TIL FAILURE!
    [/ol]
  • volsegghead39
    Options
    thanks for all of the info. It has really helped.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    these two links will cover just about any question one could think of ;) go to the cooking section once its printed out and write in big letters 250 dome temp. the simple truth to pulled pork is that a butt, salt and pepper, indirect cook, 250 dome til it just about falls apart will work, any else is just an extra. i do like the writeup, covers everything from fire building to rubs and sauces to sides

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=114

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=121
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Only thing to add is apply rub hours before the cook. There's many opinions on this, I've started doing it at least 12 hours prior and have been pleased with the results.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    1. nope rub it up and put it on

2 Up

3. Wood chunks in the fire. They are worthless in the pan

4. Dizzy Pig - Dizzy Dust..

5. big enough to feed everybody

6. You know what assume does.. Cooks choice.

My tip: Stop thinking and start cooking :)