Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking tomatos

Options
BiggyDogBreath
BiggyDogBreath Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read the posts about the cold smoke setup for cheeses(soldering iron/tin can trick). I want to smoke some tomato to try to replicate a smoked tomato dip for french fries that is served at a restaurant in Decatur GA. The dip is just to die for. Since I'm still just a newbie, I've not really smoked anything yet. Would tomato be a low temp slow deal or what? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Last night I did tomatoes.

I peeled a bunch and added some olive oil onion, garlic, mushrooms, red wine, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper and egged @ 350ish for about an hour. I threw in a couple of pecan wood hunks. When it was through I mashed everything with a potato masher and spread on garlic toast with a little fresh mozzarella. YUMMY

Not really what you were asking but I hope it helps.

Walt
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This might help! borrowed the idea from Chubby a few years ago.

Tomatoes, Sun-Dried, Richard Fl

I have done these a few times, in the oven at 250F and on the BGE 250-275F Borrowed the idea from Chubby. I use roman split lengthwise, deseeded, evoo, seasoning salt, italian seasoning garlic powder and the purple flowers from my basil bush. Careful toward the end. you need to keep checking 'cause some will dry out faster than the rest. usually 2-3 hours at 250F. I do cookie sheets with aluminum foil. After cooled I wrap in paper towel and place in refrigerator.

INGREDIENTS:

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/05/25
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    BDB, the bottom line is are the tomatos cooked or not? Are they charred as well as smoked, indicating they've been grilled with direct heat and some smoke? Are they firm and chunky with just a little smoke on them? It should be fun trying to figure that out. Once you do, you know if you need a cold smoke or can get by with some heat.
    I hope you nail it an tell us how to do it. The idea sounds tasty. I buy smoked sundried tomatos and they are phenom. Scott
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09028a.jpg

That's actually a good question, I've never done a cold smoke on tomatoes. They do pickup smoke easily and I either do them on a raised grate or over a smaller fire. Pans are the way to go, and if you want to experiment with different seasoning combinations, use cupcake pans and season each compartment differently. If you underestimate the heat of your Egg and they begin to cook too fast, pans make it easy to remove them for a few minutes.

DSC09121a.jpg

DSC00096aa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    During the summer, I smoke tomatoes (chiles, too) whole on a Big Chief electric smoker and then freeze them for use year-round. When thawed, the skins slip right off, making them very easy to work with.

Matt
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Interested in this as I had a friend years ago that used to smoke/roast tomatoes and make award winning pico de gallo. I wished I had paid more attention at the time to what he was doing!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Matt
    Options
    Ibanda --

Note that "pico de gallo" is a term likely coined in Texas to describe what is typically referred to in Mexico as "salsa mexicana". In these sauces, the ingredients are never cooked.

A table sauce made of roasted tomatoes would typically be called "salsa de molcajete". To my knowledge, however, there is no real use of smoked tomatoes in traditional Mexican cooking.

Matt
  • Large Marge
    Options
    oh but they taste fantastic smoked (tomatoes, chiles and onion) as a salsa! But I agree with you an authentic pico should be chopped raw.
  • Large Marge
    Options
    Try this link to a prior post, I love salsa this way, and RichardFl's recipe is good too.
  • Matt
    Options
    Agreed wholeheartedly -- I love a salsa of smoked tomato, dried puya (or Arbol) chile, fried garlic, Mexican oregano, and fresh minced white onion. I was only making the point that there likely isn't a Mexican (or, when considering "pico de gallo", a Texan) name for this type of salsa. Typically, any smokiness in Mexican table sauces come either from chiles chipotle or chiles pasilla de Oaxaca (a personal favorite of mine).
  • BiggyDogBreath
    Options
    thanks for all the info. I'm going to experiment a bit with it and will report back at a later date.