Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Yankee\'s first Packer Brisket

Options
eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The brisket packer, 16 lbs.
IMG_3800.jpg

Trimmed brisket:

IMG_3814.jpg
The other side:
IMG_3816.jpg

Using the SpitJack Magnum Meat injector given to me my none other than lowercasebill, I injected this brisket. The injecting process is another story best left for another day. Suffice it to say, I have finished cleaning the marinade off my ceiling.

IMG_3886.jpg

Prepped packer on the egg (firebricks in place for the Pork butt which was placed several hours later).
IMG_3830.jpg

Made a sandwich from the pulled pork with Carolina Gold Mustard suace.

IMG_3843.jpg

Burnt ends made with the point and apparently quite a bit of the flat. I used to think foie gras was bad for me. Not any more. Everything is relative, I suppose.
IMG_3844.jpg

Now for the moment of truth.......a close up of the brisket flat.

IMG_3820.jpg

Opppps, try this instead:
IMG_3875.jpg

This flat was cooked and triple wrapped in HDAF then refrigerated for 6 hour prior to serving. It was very moist and tender before it was wrapped and cooled. Upon reheating, it was drier and not as tender.

After about 3 hours into the cook I added hot water to my drip pan. So glad I listened to that Texas Troll. Wish I'd gotten a pic of the juices I collected in the drip pan. I have never had such flavorful au jus in my life. It was sooooooooo good.

I want to thank mission control: Bubba Tim, Little Chef, vbi lowercase bill, and that Texas Troll, aka Chubby for all their help. Next time I hope not to completely hack the packer, courtesy of this video from tjv: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Any suggestions on how to reheat a brisket, please pass it my way.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Looks mightyfine R.E.M.

I reheated some yesterday. I had vacuum packed with some of the au jus and went into the freezer. Just dropped the bag into boiling water for a few minutes. Doing the same with some pulled pork this evening.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    It looks like a good trim tob. I don't thin you hacked it up too much, 'cept for the slimmy mustard.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Rebecca,

How did it taste? A brisket is going to be my next big cook. I've had my egg for 3 years and haven't tried one.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Very nice doc, I'll bet that thing weighs more than you do :laugh: And I hope your not planning on bringing that XL flu shot needle next month :ohmy: :ohmy:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Rebecca, That looks outstanding!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Rebecca:

For your first packer...you done GOOOOOOOD! The burnt ends can be addicting, but what a great addiction! How about doing one of those next month...I know everyone else will help you eat it!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    Wow Rebecca, everything looks amazing ... the killer injector, the brisket precook and sliced, the pulled pork. In my neck of the wood it's hard to find a decent sized brisket at the regular supermarkets, same with Boston butt.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    That's a big chunk of beef!
    I trimmed all the fat off my latest brisket and next time I'm leaving it on to help keep the meat more moist. Lesson learned I guess. And you !HAD ME FOOLED! with the bark pic... :ohmy: :huh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I was shocked, then I was laughing. Thanks for that. ;)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i think you are being way to harsh on yourself re: the butchering,, .. looks to me you did a really nice job with the shun!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Rebecca...I think you did fantastic! You took on a large and difficult cook, and looks like you executed extremely well! Sounds to me you are just being overly critical of your efforts. (Oh...That's right...you NEVER do that to yourself! :whistle::angry: ) Everything looks excellent!! B) Nicely done, and that bark pic was a perfect addition! :laugh:
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    ...I'm wondering how polite it is for me to discuss another Woman's Brisket...in mixed company?

:blush:
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    :laugh: :silly: :laugh: Always the Gentleman :laugh: :silly: cough...cough... :whistle:
  • Chubby
    Options
    I'm sure you say with sincerity...and I thank you!!

I for one, am sensitive to your delicate sensibilities!

:P
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    Rebecca,

first, what they said. Ya did a great first brisket run !

But, just to notify me. Why have ya refridged the brisket ?

6 hours in a preheated cooler is no problem with a brisket. That means, ya don´t need to heat it up again.
    Imho the phase in the cooler is a part of the cook.
    I think it helps to tenderize and keep the meat moist.

Greetings

Simon
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Glad it turned out for ya! Looks like if you could get a injecter that would hold up you would be in the brisket business! bill told me you were having fits with it. Glad it turned out. The "wrong pic" did give me a chuckel at 3:15 getting ready for work. Mission accomplished! ;)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    F.F.H. I''ll have to give that a try.

EggSimon said I could have held that brisket for 6 hours wrapped in a cooler. Sure wish I'd done that, it lost some of it's juiciness.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Gene, the mustard looks slimey because I initially had a thin layer of mustard to hold the rub. I injected after applying the mustard and rub. I was originally going to inject it once it came out of the plateau. There really wasn't that much mustard, it just appears that way because some of the marinade was leaking out and watered down the mustard. Oh Vey! :S
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Fluffy, when I took it off the egg and it was cooling, I took a sample. It was moist and succulent and very flavorful. Then I triple wrapped it in HDAF and put it in the fridge for 6 hours or so. After reheating, it was moist, but not near as moist as when I sampled it earlier. The au jus that came from the dripping was a gerat addition. I should have added some to the foil packet.

Give it a try. Soon! :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That's a nice brisket. When you critiqued your cook, you had a few small concerns.... none of which looked like a show stopper. But there is always room for improvement.

I would agree that you did trim it a little close, that is a good stragety for hot cooking brisket, but more traditional pit temperatures like a fattier cut.

When injecting, many folks do it right through the cryo, but I prefer to rinse them first, then put it in a jumbo bag (or just wrap in clear plastic) and stick it right through the plastic.

Maybe I'm reading too much between the lines here but you mentioned refrigerating the flat. Why? And when you mentioned the brisket was moist and tender before cooling..... that must mean you sampled it? Briskets loose a lot of moisture when they are sliced, how long after it came off the cooker did you slice it?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Rebecca, now, this is the real life with great "good sized" delicious looking cooks Felicidades!!! :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Pat, I would have called you up to Ohio to have some brisket, but thought it would have been inhospitalable, being that it was a mere 16lbs. :lol: :laugh: :woohoo:

Lucky you. I might have to leave the injector behind. It was time consuming and rough enough to go through security with that rice cooker.
  • Chubby
    Options
    Morning Sunshine...!!

You know...I tried cooking littl "personal sized" brisket flats (3 lbs or so)...several times!

I'll be charitable and just say..."they sucked"! I had to dispose of them before the "Crime Scene"
    folks arrived!!!

I thought you'd snagged one of my pics with that first "bark" shot!

I have a suggestion or two based on your pics...call me, well chat!

on my second cup...
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    Looks great Rebecca! Burnt Ends are my favorite and they looked excellent!
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks Molly !

image002.gif
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Good Morning Jay and thank you for those kind words! :)

I'll consider doing a brisket at the mini. Just two requirements: 1) Someone needs to show me how to trim a packer. 2) You take the 2am to 7am brisket watching shift.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Looks great. You are an ole pro already. :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks Gary.....it was after I bought the 16lb packer that I read that bigger wasn't better. It was definitely a man, possibly thirdeye, who said something like that. ;)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Clay, even us yankees can do bark! :lol:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Nice job Rebecca, I injected one I did a week or so ago. Still trying to get the ceiling clean ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks bill! :) Now I want a bicycle pump.