Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever made their own MaidRite/steamed burger

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I egged up some burgers the other day and kind of overcooked them. I am afraid they will taste like poop if I re-heat them. So my wife throws out "why don't you ask someone if they have ever made Maid-Rites out of left-over burgers". I will tell you what, she is smart.

So has anyone ever made their own loose meat/steamed burger/maid-rite sandwich out of already cooked ground beef in burger form?

I figure that I have beef, I have onions, and I have 7up. Any suggestions or takers on this endeavor?

Thanks
tim

Comments

• I have no idea what you are talking about but I am interested to see where this is going to go.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When I overcook ground meat it becomes the basis for a pasta sauce.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Ever see the show Roseanne? The restaurant she opened up served these loose/steamed meat sandwiches. They are huge in the western-midwest (think western IL and WI through Iowa and into some plain states). Maid-Rite was like to that sandwich what Kleenex is to tissue - Hand me a Kleenex means give me something to blow my nose with. Let's go get a maid-rite - even though the place might be called Lamar's Landmines.

Google Maid-Rite or check out Pete's Hamburgers in Prairie du Chein, WI - 100 years old and still raging. So simple and so damn good.
  • Wow, learn something new every day. :) Thanks.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I thought about that but we had pasta like 3 times this week, including pasta salad at lunch today. I wanted to get crazy with my $4 worth of cooked ground beef. If worse comes to worse and it sucks I will just send the wife down the street for some Hot Dogs.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I don't know how you can do it with already cooked beef....you could grind it but it certainly will not be a maid-rite.

I haven't had one in at least a decade but remember them fondly from my early years.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Did your freezer break?? Then make tacos!!!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    It's probably too dried out to become a maidrite sandwich at this point. I would chop it up fine and turn it into Sloppy Joe meat for sammies. Make a tomato based sauce to reheat the meat in. Here is an idea for the sauce, but there are many more out there.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/super-sloppy-joes-recipe4/index.html
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Wow, I hope it tastes good. No offense, but the colour of the meat isn't exactly appetizing. :unsure:
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Richard, all are great ideas but can't you see that she got me stuck on this loose meat idea? I am definitely going to try it and if it is good I am going to fly to you and make you enjoy it!

I just need to convince her to go to the store to get the right type of buns. hmmmmm-maybe I will fain a bout of the fakeitis that requires her to run to the store and "oh honey while you are out can you pick up some buns so that I can make this loose meat you have infected my brain with"

She will come home, figure out I lied to her, but will be so knocked out by the sandwiches that she will shower me with kisses and foot rubs. While she is praising me I will say something to the eggfect of "can you believe that dingleberry in florida wanted me to make tacos or pasta sauce". She will laugh and say something about how great I am and how she wants to invite her cute asian best friend over to expand our horizons in places besides the kitchen.

Do you want to take that away from me!
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    that's because the hawkeye who made it did it at home. The real ones look far more disgusting and prison-food esque but they effin rule.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Don't forget to bring some LONEY and I will teach you how to cook it ALA BGE Style!!!
  • Haha - hey, if they taste good - who can argue? :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Tim,

I would not use that leftover for making Maid Rites. I have duplicated the taste in my mind and perfected this simple recipe over many years. I still go to Maid Rite from time to time - sometimes the day before or after I make them at home and I think I'm as close to the real thing as I can get!

There are a few DON'Ts and you need to trust me on them!

Start with 3/4# of 80% ground chuck.

In a skillet crumple the meat while browning it over a low to med setting, chopping the meat into a fine consistency as it browns.

DO NOT add anything like onion powder, garlic or even pepper!

Drain the fat!

Add 10 oz of preheated Swanson Chicken Broth - the boxed kind not the can kind!

Simmer and stir until broth has evaporated. It's wise to use a screen spatter guard unless you want a mess on your stove!

Salt to taste

Serve on a hamburger bun with a light smear of yellow mustard.

Make it overflow and messy so you need a spoon!

BTW I'm from Iowa, home of the Maid Rite and honest - my aunt and uncle personally knew the originator of the sandwich and chain.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    OMG! I can't believe it. A Maid Rite post.

I go to Greenville, OH for a conference every now and then. Whenever I go, I stop in the Maid Rite joint to support a local business. Can't say I initially cared for them, but they've grown on me over time.
  • RRP
    Options
    I grew up with them as being a treat as a child in Iowa. We moved to MO when I was 9 and whenever we visited IA that was a destination for sure. Then a 20 or 25 year lapse and suddenly a company opened two locally so the love affair was renewed!
  • RRP
    Options
    Even another trip down nostalgia lane...I recall my Mother telling me of buying a Maid Rite and Coke for 5 cents when she was in high school in Mt Pleasant, IA. These are comfort food items from another era back here in the mid west.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Much love for the Maid-Rite.

Along with the yellow mustard, finely diced onions and pickles are a must...no ketchup.

I'm lucky to have one a block away, service is excellent. Their breakfast menu is killer. When we worked Saturdays in the shop we'd call in an order for $2 classic breakfasts: 2 eggs, 2 strips bacon or sausage links, hash browns, and 2 slices of toast...can't be beat.

One of the things I miss from growing up was the old A & W drive-ins. We had a couple around here that closed. We still have a couple Tastee Freez if anyone remembers them?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    I have been making homemade Maid-Rites for years. To the drained browned up hamburger add an envelope of Lipton Golden Onion dried soup mix [one envelope per pound of meat] and some water to moisten. Before they came out with the Golden Onion I used the regular Onion Soup mix but that has a stronger flavor. Golden Onion uses chicken broth and makes it taste like the real thing. I also like to put the meat on regular bread and cover with beef gravy for a hot beef sandwich.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I think I would treat them like burnt ends. Chop it up, stick in some low temp smoke for a while and then add some sauce.
    The Naked Whiz