Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Rub Question

Options
Jasper
Jasper Posts: 378
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I'm going to do my first pulled pork tonight, going to put it on around midnight. It's a 7# Boston butt and I'm going to rub it with mustard and then add the dry rub.

How long before putting it in the egg would you add the rub?

Oh, and with the fat cap, I've seen some pics with people putting it on the egg with the fat cap up and read that it's better to have the fat cap down. Any opinions?

Thanks!! :)

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Dizzy Dust Coarse is what I use. I don't recall seeing fat caps on pork butts. I rub them and put them on as soon as the egg is stabilized.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    As soon as you get the rub on it I would put it on the pit. I like fat cap down to make better bark. I have done it both up and down and the meat pretty much turns out the same (GREAT). Can't wait to see the after pictures. That is my family’s favorite eggfood.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Fatty side down.Rub just before putting on the Egg.No more than 30 minutes prior.No rite or wrong,that's just what I do. ;) Good luck and post pics.
  • Jasper
    Options
    Thanks all! I will post some before and after pics!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Jasper: Some folks add the rub the night before, others at the last minute, and everything in between. So it's whatever works for you. (remember though, the colder the meat is when it is put on the egg, the better chance you have for a decent 'smoke ring').
    Fat cap? Is this a shoulder? Or does it just has a fatty side? Again, some folks say fat up, but I believe the majority will say fat down. We are a 'fat down' house.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Rub it then go fire up your egg. Once stable, on it goes. Fat cap down will give you a good heavy bark. If you don't care for the bark, fat up. Good luck with your cook.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I just did an 8 pounder last night and posted here about it. I used Dizzy Dust on it after wetting it with Worcestershire and then hitting it with rub, then smearing with cheap-o yellow French's and "making it reddish" again with some more DP. As for the fat cap...mine was thicker than I like so I pared it down to say 1/4" thickness. Then I scored it into 1/2" squares to let the rub/mustard get in. And finally I'm in the camp that says put the butt on so the fat cap is on top, which lets the fat melt and flavor the outside as it runs off!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    Jasper, you're going to love it and wonder why you didn't cook butt sooner! Where in Toronto do you get Boston butt, St. Lawrence Market? I get mine from Asian supermarkets, they usually precut them too small (4-5 lb) and trimmed off the fat cap, occasionally I get the larger ones before they cut them. If you're not using any temperature control gadget, wait up every four hours just to make sure all is well. Good luck and report back.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Jasper
    Options
    Yes, I got it at St. Lawrence. They cut me the size I wanted. Nice piece too! I've never really been interested in cooking a big chunk of pork for the immediate family but there's a big family BBQ tomorrow and my pulled pork sammiches will be adding to the fun!

Send me an email if you want to drop in for a taste, it's in Agincourt.
  • You can put the rub on immediately before cooking the butt. If you think about it, you're going to cook it for 16 hours so that give plenty of time for the spices to penetrate the flesh (if that even happens).

Fat cap up or down? Doesn't matter really. I always cut it off to give more bark and make less mess. Cutting it off is actually kind of fun too.

Up or down of the fat c
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Jasper

Do the rub first and then the mustard.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sonoma Joe
    Options
    I'm doing my first pulled pork tomorrow and rather than start a new thread, I'm going to butt-in (pun intended) in on yours.

I have a 5lb pork butt and plan on cooking it at 250 to a temp of 200 inside. In everyone's collective experience, how long should this take? I'd hate to put it on in the early morning to find it done in the afternoon.

Thanks!
    Jerry
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I do the rub 24 hrs. before and cook it fatside up.
    My 2 cents worth.
  • I did a 9 lber last night and it took about 16.5 hours. I started it late so I cooked it at 270 overnight and even the next morning it was lagging.

I eventually had to wrap it in foil and cook it at 350-400 for the last hour or so. Still turned out great. Butts are good that way.

You can hold them quite well for at least 4 hours if they finish early, you wrap them in foil, a towel (to not melt your cooler) and throw them in a cooler.

Butts are really easy and hard to screw up (barring any fire going out). Have fun!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    My butts almost always run over 2 hours a pound and the smaller ones longer. I would give myself a 12 hour window but it's easy to keep it hot for a few hours or crank up the heat at the end if it's lagging. Butts can be different but they are very forgiving.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    250 dome roughly 10 hours..ya might get lucky and it's done in in 8....why cook only 1 given the time and work involved..I just did 4 a couple days ago, and its the same as cooking one..
  • Sonoma Joe
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the quick response! The dinner bell rings at 5PM tomorrow so it looks like I'll be setting the alarm clock for 5AM. From your responses, it sounds like whether it finishes early and I have to wrap it, or it runs late and I have to crank up the temp, all should be good. Thanks again!
  • tecciztecatl
    Options
    I just put my #10 on 2hrs ago. I rubbed her last night and injected her right before the cook. I figure about 15hrs at 225 deg F ... fat side down, place setter and drip pan. I'll check every 4 hrs to make sure everything is ok.

dsc03802f.jpg
  • Jasper
    Options
    I just put it on. Watching the temp remotely.

Rubbed on the mustard and mixture of spices I like to use.
    pp01.jpg

Put it on the rack with some water and vinegar mix.
    pp02.jpg

Probes...check...
    pp03.jpg

Hoping it all works out.... :laugh:
    pp04.jpg

Thanks for all the info folks!! :)
  • I think you are being optimistic with the time. Cooking time depends obviously on temp of the egg and how fatty the butt is. In my experience, I take a full 2 hours at 250 to cook a butt (I did one last night).

I put a 9 lb one on last night at 7pm - I had it about 270 overnight and still had to blast it in foil at 400 for the last hour to get it done. Good luck.
  • tecciztecatl
    Options
    Yeah, you might be right; we are at 11hrs and I hit the plateau right now. I did give myself a little buffer until early dinner is SUPPOSED to be ready. :-) I really do not want to blast the heat in order to finish it.

(Man do I love the smell my egg is emanating right now.)
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    I've switched to rubbing the night before after reading Michael Simon's book and have always done fat up. May try fat down after reading these posts.
  • tnels
    Options
    I put the butt in cold so my experience has been about 2.25hrs/lb at 250 degrees. I always error on the side of an early finish and have held a butt for 5 hours (double foil-wrapped with a towel and hot pack in a cooler). Temp was still >160.
  • tnels
    Options
    I put the butt in cold so my experience has been about 2.25hrs/lb at 250 degrees. I always error on the side of an early finish and have held a butt for 5 hours (double foil-wrapped with a towel and hot pack in a cooler). Temp was still >160.
  • Blasting it is no big deal. I've had to do a few where timing has been off and I can't really tell much difference between a blasted/non-blasted butt.

It's more important to get it done on time so you can let it rest for at least a 1/2 hour (which you don't have to do anyway). Wrap in foil and blast away. Nothing wrecks a dinner party more than no dinner.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    "Blasting it is no big deal. I've had to do a few where timing has been off and I can't really tell much difference between a blasted/non-blasted butt".

"It's more important to get it done on time so you can let it rest for at least a 1/2 hour (which you don't have to do anyway). Wrap in foil and blast away"!

"Nothing wrecks a dinner party more than no dinner".

Well...at least we can agree on the last sentence!!

Seldom have I seen this much flipantly foolish miss-information.... packed into a couple of sentences!

I suppose the fact that the poster tells you up front that he "can't really tell much difference between a blasted/non-blasted butt",
    should be an immediate tip as to the validity of his following advice!

"Resting" a pork butt...(or any roast for that matter!!) is a vital step to getting the kind of results you're trying to acheive in slo cooking a butt/roast in the first place!

Yes...there are many faster/different methods for this type of cook...
    but"blasting away" at the end and then...throwing it on the table right out'a the pit with no resting time, (as was sugggested when you we're told
    "you don't have to do it anyway"
    )... isn't anywhere close to your best bet!!!

Of that you can be sure!!!

:lol::lol:

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Well Chub - at least it looks like you are lacking in butt experience. Butts are very forgiving - even you must know that. We had a thread (maybe you missed it) that resting a butt, although helpful, isn't a critical step. If you want to take on the majority of experienced forum members on that, knock yourself out.

Really though: Quit trolling - it's pretty lame.

Tecc - seriously don't worry about it, a final blast in the last hour, if needed, isn't ideal but the butt will still come out pretty darn good. I had to do this yesterday to meet a lunch deadline - everyone raved about my butt - the pork got good reviews too :)
  • Chub -
    Here's the link:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=936916&catid=1

Id you want to tell Hoss he's a novice and doesn't know what he's talking about - knock yourself out. That's not the type of heat I'd want anyway.

Tecc - ignore Chub - he's a trolling fool and tying to get a rise.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'd respectfully add that in the link you posted that Hoss is incorrect.

Resting meat serves a genuine purpose and will greatly improve the quality of the end product. This has been addressed, discussed, and generally agreed up on this forum numerous times over the years.

Yes, pork can be good without a rest, but it is better with it. Yes, pork can be good if you "blast" it that last hour or two, but its is generally better without having to do that.

Calling Chubby a trolling fool is just ridiculous. I won't step to his defense, not my battle, but I will say you should really stop insulting people with 5 or more years of meaningful and helpful contributions.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    LMAO!!!!

Too many poopy diapers today...???

I gotta say: you're the first in my 8 years to here, to call me a "Troll"!

:lol:

But like the old saying goes...

"Better to have folks suspect you're a fool...than open your mouth and prove them right"!!

My advice,(not directed to you btw)...was an effort to pass along my experience to a new Egger, based on
    many years of cooking roasts...(pork or otherwise)...whether on the Egg..or any other cooker for that matter!!

It is not based on a simplistic understanding of what I think someone here might have ment!

Tecc is welcome to take my advice for what he thinks it's worth...and yours as well.

Once again...your pride prohibites you from actually learning something!!

:whistle:

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!