Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it just me?

Options
pissclams
pissclams Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've owned my large egg for over two years now and I've never once used it as a grill. I smoke on it probably every other weekend from early Spring through late Fall/Winter but have never used it as a grill.

When I first got the egg I had a really bad case of flashback that sent me to the ER with 2nd degree burns up the length of my forearm and since then, I don't want anything to do with flames on my egg, I guess that's why.

Are the flames hard to control when using it as a grill? When I see videos/pictures of the egg grilling it looks like they really flame up.

Anyone else just use their egg as a smoker only?

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Try this & be prepared for an incredible culinary experience.......ENJOY!!!

http://nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    I TOTALLY understand the hesitancy after an event like you had, but honestly I think you of all people would be careful enough to never have it happen again.

That being said, I cannot imagine not using my LGE for searing steaks, Spatchcock chicken, wings, burgers, dogs, PIZZZZZA, etc.

Heck of a smoker? You bet.

Heck of a grill? Best ever made.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm just the opposite... much more grilling than low and slow. Primarily because I just end up with too much food! But back to your grilling question.

Grilling isn't always at nuclear temps. Most the time I only cruise around 400 or so. With a stable egg, i.e. one that you just didn't close the dampers on, especially the lower one, it won't have as much tendency to flare up looking for oxygen.

Naked Whiz has a whole page on flashback. Worth the read.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

If in doubt or even if not in doubt, "burp" it a couple of times. Wearing a long oven mitt is also a good idea. I do that when making pizza.

IMO, grilling on the egg is just too good to ignore.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    >When I first got the egg I had a really bad case of flashback that sent me to the ER with 2nd degree burns up the length of my forearm

Wow, that's the worst I've ever heard. I've had a couple, and the worst just singed some hair. Definitely made me cautious whenever I'm above 500 F dome.

But I use the Egg as a grill on weekdays a couple times a week. Lo-n-slo, or baking mostly reserved for weekends. If you grill direct from either the lower or raised grill position, it is very easy to do many things quickly, without going to high heat. Flare-up are usually only a problem if the food is really fatty. In that case, I pop the dome open, turn some of the food, and then close as the flames start up. For lots of chicken pieces, it can take 3 - 4 attempts to get everything turned.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Well I agree. Anything over 500 degrees you need to be careful. I demonstrated flashback to 14 folks last weekend as I cooked 14 steaks. I used my large to sear them all at 550 and my small to finish the cooks at 400. I showed them all how to burp the egg and yes, we all heard a 'whoosh' and flame out the top. But they all said it was the best steaks they have ever had.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Funny, only flashbacks I've ever had were when preparing a fire for a low and slow. :S

Flashback happens when the box is hot, but airflow is restricted. When an infusion of oxygen takes place, the hot gases ignite all at once. I have never had this happen when preparing to grill -- mostly because the bottom vent is wide open and nothing is on the cap.

Check out Naked Whiz's page(s) on flashback. It will tell you how to avoid it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    its just you :laugh: i have cooked pizzas at 1200 degree dome temps ;) get some long welding gloves until you get more comfortable, i just lift the dome a half inch, pause a second or two then open, always standing a little back. when theres liquid in the egg like in a dutch or wine in a roasting pan im more cautious, steam burns are usually worse with the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think kricks hit all the nails on the head! Check out the NW site. As others have mentioned it is the sudden rush of oxygen that causes a flashback. I think this is the most dangerous any time you have lowered the temp significantly by starving the egg for oxygen.

The best advice from NW- in addition to burping, go ahead and open up the top and bottom vents before you burp it. The other great advice is to get in the habit of venting/burping every time.

Get yourself some good gloves and get grillin!

Is it just me- or should someone invent a handle for the egg that has a heat deflector between your hand and the egg?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    FWIW, you are the first person in over 9 years of visiting this forum that I have seen report anything worse than singed hair. I wonder if you were burned by the flashback or if you were perhaps burned by steam exiting the cooker. Whatever happened, I do a fair amount of grilling and don't find it to be different than grilling on any other grill I've ever used. Long tongs and perhaps gloves will help prevent any burns from flareups, but you can also close the bottom vent to make sure that the fire isn't being fed any air from below resulting in a bigger fire than you want, once you start cooking.
    The Naked Whiz
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Only had my egg for a little over a week and have used it every single day. of course it was about the same for my previous gas grill, which is going to the curb next week.

Haven't smoked much but looking forward to doing so. Should be interesting as neighbors complain all the time about smoke, even from gas grills.

When my son was about 12 he wanted to help Dad light the gas grill. I opened the lid, turned on the gas and he tried to light it using a lighter, click, click, click. Common sense would say turn off the gas and air a bit, but he was on a roll.

All of a sudden a huge flame ignites and he turns to me with a smile from ear to ear "I did it!, I did it!"

Smoke was coming from his eye brows and head, so as a good Dad I patted him on the head for a job well done.

Dave
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Sorry to hear about your experience. Flashback's can happen. Here is a picture of our friend Ross In Ventura.
    Ross' Flashback

You are missing some great eats that can come off of the egg. Other than some pizza cooks there is no reason to take the egg to high temperatures. I understandably see your concern.

However, invest in tjv's spider and an extra grate. You can even remove the fire ring and put your food that need searing closer to the lump level. If you have a glowing red in the lump bed the temperature there will be between 800° & 1100° and the dome can be below 450°. With your grate an inch or so above the lump bed that is more than enough heat for a fantastic sear. When the sear is complete, put in the fire ring or if you picked up a Spider then put the grid (or second grid) up on the fire ring and finish the cook if needed.

Flames for burgers and such isn't going to be much difference than with a gas grill. if there is a flame up then close the dome and put a rag or one of your gloves over the DFMT and that will snuff out the flame up. There is no reason to continually flip a burger or other meat so you shouldn't have to deal with the flames much at all.

As fishlessman said get some gloves and follow his directions and you will be fine.

If you have been at a high temperature and then close the vents to get to a lower temperature the chances of a flare up/flashback are more likely. Again above it was explaned to open all vents (top & bottom) for a short time then carefully, with gloves on, open the dome as detailed again by fishlessman.

Just pay attention to what you are doing and you will be fine. Use the egg and get doing some grilling.

steak2-1.jpg

steak2.jpg

bratsonmini.jpg

brats.jpg

tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_2.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

charsui2.jpg

charsui4.jpg

Now I am hungry, going to grill some home ground polish sausage on the mini - yes there will be flame involved.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dave,

Saw you are in Cambridge. Are you going to Niagara next month?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Yes! As a guest. Looking forward to it.

Dave
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)