Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alignment Question

Options
mveggman
mveggman Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks,

Just replaced the gasket on our Large BGE. We noticed that the alignment is off from front to back about 1/2".

We've tightened the bands but still see a gap. Any ideas which screws/nuts & bolts to adjust on the spring mechanism?

Thanks,

mveggman

Comments

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing feedback...

I, as a newb, noticed the bolts on the spring hinge seemed to be loose. So I decided to tighten the 4 bolts.

At first the lid wouldn't actually open after tightening...so I loosened them a bit.

Now I notice a small amount of smoke coming out the near the hinge. I'm figuring I have mine mis-aligned as well.

Total bonehead move on my part.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    I have a problem with this as well. Front to back I'm off a good 1/4 of an inch. In other words, the top sits back that far. The downside is that the back seems to sit down. It has ruined my lower gasket by rolling it up from the outside.

I'm a little stumped at the moment. I've now pulled the lower gasket completely off (a new one is in the dryer), but the alignment is still off. Knowing the definition of insanity, I'm hesitant to just put a new one on.

Thoughts?
  • mveggman
    Options
    Are both of your bands bolted on the same side? Or are is one bolted on the right and one bolted on the left? BGE Customer Service is suggesting that the fact that ours are bolted on right and left might be contributing to the problem.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    They are both bolted on the left as I look at it. Just going to take it all apart and put it back together. See what happens.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    In my limited experience I've found that adjusting the bands will give even gap spacing for the dome to base seal. For "overbite/underbite" issues adjusting the hinge seems to work best. It may require a combination of both adjustments to achieve what you're looking for.

This thread from early July may be helpful to you: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=919840

Due credit goes to "Grandpas Grub" for his knowledge on this subject and making me smarter.

Kind regards,
    dbCooper
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • mveggman
    Options
    Happy to report that I think I've "fixed" it (with the help of Fred Berarndo of fredsmusic.com. He suggested that I loosen the bolts that attach to the bands. Then I wiggled the dome lid until it was in place and re-secured the bolts. Once it was mostly tight, he suggested the dollar bill test (closing the bill in between the dome and bowl and seeing how much resistance was there.) After making a couple of adjustments, I felt that it was pretty good, (one spot is weaker than the rest but not too bad.) I did a test cooking and the temperature was good and sustainable!

So give it a try and and thanks to dbCooper for his advice too (I think they are all related.)