Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Can't get a good char crust on my steaks!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been making some superb steaks with my new egg, but I'm missing one thing that I love -- a good char crust! I can get the egg up to 800 degrees with no problem, and they sear fine, and then I shut it down for the dwell. As I said, the flavor is great but the meat looks kind of gray and pallid -- not very appealing! No matter how hot I get it the flames don't seem to flare up and "get" the steak during the sear. I supposed I could build the lump up higher but that seems like a lot of charcoal to dump in for a 20 minute cook![p]Any tips would be greatly appreciated![p]Thanks...

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Big Bob,[p]Yes, load the lump up and get it like lava. You should have a good sear in barely a minute. [p]The small sears great cuz the meat is only a few inches from the coals. Lacking a small, you can remove the fire ring from the large and set the grate directly on the firebox (though you won't need to do this if you load up the coals)[p]You could also consider skipping the dwell and keep pouring the heat to it until you get the crust you want. If you are going by time for the sear, then you might go by looks instead. Times are simply a guideline.[p]Hope it helps!
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Big Bob,[p]It might seem like a lot of charcoal to get it that close to the surface, but remember this is not like briquets. Most of that charcoal will be there for your next cook unless you let it sit at 800 degrees for a half hour or so. Might want to try spraying the surface of your steak with a little olive oil also.[p]mShark
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Big Bob,[p]Are talking "grill marks" or a real "crust"? [p]For a crust, here are two thoughts.[p]1) there is a product called "char crust". I'm sure you'll find it if you search it with google. I've used it and like it.[p]2) coat the steak with mustard, then whatever spices (if any), then sear and dwell as normal. That works well too![p]Smokey
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Smokey,
    Great suggestions, and definitely stuff I left out! [p]Sugar, flour and/or cornmeal in your rub will aid as well as what you suggested.[p]See you soon!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Big Bob,
    besides what everybody else said...get a cast iron pan, throw it right on your grid and let it get up temps along with your egg, when your egg is 800+ so will that cast iron pan. . .do your sear in the pan (brush your steaks with some olive oil first along with whatever else you put on them). . .trust me, you'll have a charred crust. . .then pull the pan, and put the steaks back on the grid for the dwell. . ..

• usa doug
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I see where you finally decided that you couldn't pass up Eggtoberfest. I'm glad you found a way to make the trip.
    Maybe we can visit.[p]Doug

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Big Bob,
    You can also dispense with the grid and sear the steaks directly on the lump. If this doesn't give you a char, nothing will. If you want to see this method in action, watch for the Good Eats episode "Raising The Steaks". I've done it a couple of times and it worked just fine.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    you are such a he-man!!!. . .i haven't worked up the nerve yet to throw good steaks directly on the coals. ..someday i'll be as brave as you. . .heeeee . ..[p]btw.. .you comin to atlanta this weekend??

• Nature Boy
    Options
    usa doug,
    It has been like a roller coaster. The Royal marathon, the trailer breakdown, then I have been dealing with a freak corneal ulcer in the middle of my right eye. Ouch. Blur. Ouch. Now getting better.[p]Unless another curve is thrown into the equation, I'll be knockin on your RV door!
    Look forward to it.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • All --[p]Thanks for all the rapid fire, sage advice! I will be dabbling with all of these tips and feel sure I'll "get my char" back.[p]What a great resource this forum is![p]Regards,[p]Big Bob
  • Cornbread Willy
    Options
    Big Bob,
    Haven't done it myself, but a buddy of mine puts a cast iron skillet over the blue flame of his turkey frier apparatus - sears both sides and then transfers the meat to the grill for finishing. Kind of like the trex method without buidling the lava fire in the egg first. Like I said, I haven't done it myself, but I can assure you that skillet is HOT when he puts those steaks on it. Good luck.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Nope, not gonna make it. We sorta ran out of money and time and stuff to go on another trip so soon. I hope next year. Trouble is that it comes just a few days after our wedding anniversary and, I love you guys, but I just don't see Eggtoberfest as being real romantic, LOL! I'm looking forward to Eggfest '05 though![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Exactly what I do. Turns out great. Lots of smoke when you throw those puppies on there though!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Hooter,
    yep, pretty exciting stuff, those steaks flaming and spitting back at you from the cast iron. .but certainly worth the danger involved. ..LOL