Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beware of your unused Daisey!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_1572.jpg

For years now I have stored my seldom used small Daisey inside my large Daisey which sits on a firebrick on my deck railing. Never have had a problem until today. I was power-washing the rail so I moved all and WHAMO a wasp nailed my hand near my thumb. I killed three before I was done. They had filled the small Daisey in half with a nest they were building!

This is the first time in my life I have been stung by a wasp and here it is nearly 3 hours later and my hand is still slightly swollen and the thumb joint aches. Any recommendations to ease the pain? and how long will this discomfort last?

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    wasps are some nasty pests. try some meat tenderizer.
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Sorry to hear you got stung. Tylenol and Benadryl should help. Also, if you get stung, or bitten by a mosquito, ant, etc, if you apply cortisone cream within the first minute or 2, it will keep the swelling and itching to a minimum. Good luck.
  • RRP
    Options
    you mean make a paste or something?
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks - we have tubes of "After Bite" throughout the house so we never have to look long - those work quite well for us for mosquitoes, but did nothing for the wasp sting.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    RRP wrote:

This is the first time in my life I have been stung by a wasp and here it is nearly 3 hours later and my hand is still slightly swollen and the thumb joint aches. Any recommendations to ease the pain? and how long will this discomfort last?

Drink heavily till you pass out. Pain gone. ;) Sorry, it does hurt. Have a buddy with a yellow jacket nest in his front yard. He's waiting for nighttime.
  • Ashman
    Options
    I don't mean to but in, my son stumbled on yellow jacket nest last year, and the cortisone, benadryl, and Tylenol is what they (the Pharmacist) told us to use on my son. I asked about meat tenderiser and he told me it was to long since the sting for it to do any good (about 30 minutes). He also told us to use cold compresses or soak the area in ice water if we could. But at the end of the day, if the meat tenderiser works, go for it.
  • RRP
    Options
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Now let me practice my line..."But dear, Phil told me its the only hic sooolution to my paiin from that hic waspy thingeee" :whistle:
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    An ole "Home Remedy" is to make a juicy mix of tobacco and saliva. Put it on the sting. It really works if done quickly, but have never tried later on.

Jim
    Snellville, GA :P
  • ScottS
    ScottS Posts: 12
    Options
    a paste of baking soda and water put on the site often helps, too.

Best,

Scott
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yup, sounds like it will work! :whistle:
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Hope your not allergic :blink:. Last week I was mowing the lawn like I do every week. While going in tight under some white pines I hit one of those paper hornet nests with my head. It wasn't there the week before. This thing was about the size of a cantaloupe. Now I understand why a riding mower shuts off when you get up off the seat. Otherwise who knows how far it would have went. I jumped off screaming like a little girl, except for the curse words. I ended up with 4 stings in my head 3 on my neck a 3 on my arm. I sent the wife out for 2 cans of raid and doubled barreled the suckers. I lost the battle but won the war.
  • Ashman
    Options
    After reading all of the responses, I think Phils idea has the most merit. Well done!! :laugh: And in support of my fellow Egger, I will, in commiseration of your troubles, partake of an adult beverage. B)
  • XLeggo
    XLeggo Posts: 10
    Options
    Those who have a cover on their BGE and don't remove it for a while should also be careful. For the last ten years or so, the European paper wasp has been rapidly spreading and becoming quite abundant in the East. It's black and yellow like a yellow jacket, but has the shape of our native brownish-red paper wasp. The reason they are so pesky is that they love to nest in small, enclosed, man-made spaces. Just a heads up.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    That's messed up. We have wasps every year and I usually get them with the power washer. I keep my daisy wheel in the shed when not in use. I probably need to watch out for spiders more then anything.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    did not read all the other replies but ice advil and benedryl 50mg every 4 hrs no alcohol with the benedryl.. i got nailed 3x in one spot on my forearm,, the next morning i was swollen from my middle knuckles to half way up my bicep .. it will hurt for several days and but should be tolerable by tomorrow . .
    wasp stings are much different than itchy bee stings..
    don't be a hero , don't resist consulting your physician. if you do not feel well go to the e/r .
    i made the mistake of confusing it with a bee sting decided i would not be a whimp and went back to gardening in the heat.. take it seriously please
    bill
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    A paste of soda should be applied. As it dries it can take some of the venom out. Take some Benadryl. It will hurt for a while.

Monitor for excessive swelling. It may indicate an allergic reaction if you've never experienced this before.

If you aren't allergic it will pass but damn it sure smarts I'll bet.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Daisy wheels SHOULD BE placed in the egg at shut-down.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

I am no doctor but I find ingestion of large quantities of alcohol works for me. ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options
    hic goooood idear - pHIL soggested that hic earlier sooooo may BE i'll have 2 try ittt hic :laugh:
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    As a paramedic, I recommend benadryl. It will help with the swelling. As a lush, I also recommend large quantities of alcohol. It will help with the pain, and it just seems like a good time to have one.(or two, or three, etc.) :)
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks to "one and all!"

I'm OK, but trust me..a wasp sting isn't a fun thing!

Nearly 9 hours later my hand still looks like a George Foreman mallet to beat some body with...but so be it...
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    That sucks. Hope you feel better. At any rate this story should help...

So this weekend, I 'found' a yellowjacket nest on my driveway in a bag of yard waste that was waiting for the next curbside pickup. I was using the hose, hit the bag with the hose when I pulled it, and they came out and stung my wife (just once luckily), who was standing near them. I hit them with some spray that night, but they were deep in the bag and I didn't get them.

The next day, I go to check, and sure enough, there are yellowjackets happily flying around the bag. I get some more spray to hit them again that night. I mention this to my friend Bruce who had come over for dinner, who says, 'why wait till dark? I'll get them'. He grabs the spray, goes over and kicks the bag, and sprays away. He thought he only got stung 2 or 3 times, but it turns out a couple had gotten into his clothes. By the time he got home, he had broken out in hives, and his wife dragged him to the ER, where they estimated he got stung 30+ times. An IV of industrial strength Benedryl later, he was back home, hopefully with the sense not to kick a beehive again. He did manage to take out most of the bees though. I only saw a couple the next day, and that night, I dropped a trash can over the bag and lidded it. After a couple of days in the sun, the remaining yellowjackets will have a date with my MAPP torch.

-John
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Around here during this time of the year, standard equipment to carry in vehicle, keep near garage, outside doors and worksheds is a can of wasp and hornet spray. This stuff will shoot a stream about 15 to 20 feet and wipe them out. When spraying on insects it seems to put them in extreme pain and suffering :evil: :evil: (love it) Soak the nest and if they return, they don't stay.

Different people react differently when stung. Sometimes pain and swelling lasts only a few minutes while others will suffer for a couple of days. What you have to watch out for is anaplaxic shock (hope I spelled that right). For a couple of hours after being stung, if feeling not right, get to emergency care immediately. Some people can go for years being stung with minor pain and then all of a sudden develop the ability to go into shock. This is a deadly risk and must carry an eppi pen for the rest of their lives in case they get stung again.

Hurts like he-- don't it,
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    I Have noticed more wasp flying around my house and Egg-Ma-Hall than usual. That is why I had someone out to see how much they would charge to have it screened, wanted to much, still in the negotiation phase.

Plus my daughter is afraid of them she won't even come out of the house, she asks me if there are any wasps out there.