Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread Questions?

Options
Mr Holloway
Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried my second loaf and it turned out pretty good. I needed it for the next day and ran into a couple of problems.
How do I cool bread down to keep the crust,crusty? :) What is the best way to store fresh bread?
Thanks for any help :)

Bread.jpg

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Just wanted to say bread looks like it turned out great!! Really can't help on your question though as when I do bread I just wrap in plastic wrap which in your case will cause it to sweat and soften the crust. What about one of those glass cake cases AFTER it cools? I would think air cooling would be the best as well.
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    The glass case is a great idea, thank you.
    It was nice and crusty and I think I covered it too early :blink:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Sorry there would be no bread left to worry about if I was around! :P Tim
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    You have to wrap the bread at the proper time. Too soon, you will get mush, too late, it gets stale.

Let it cool completely, wait a few hours and then wrap.

I usually put my in the toaster oven (off, it is just for storage) for about 1/2 day.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    CIBread.jpg

At home we cool the freshly baked loaf on a wire rack in open air on the counter top.
    When it has cooled to room temp it will be good for several hours if not all day before slicing.
    If storing for the next day put the fully cooled bread in a brown paper bag and leave out at room temp. If you can get one of those plastic bags with a bazillion perforated holes that come with fresh bread at the grocery store, that will work too. The object is to let the bread breathe just a little bit.
    Storing bread in the fridge tends to make a yucky mealy texture and destroys the crumb you worked so hard to achieve.

Good luck and nice looking loaf!

john
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    bakeries use paperbags. what happened to all the old tin breadboxes that people used to have sitting on their counters, do they still even make them, im betting thats what they were for :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    heres something else you dont see anymore, my parents wouldnt know what it is, its a dough box :laugh:

d12019a9.jpg

1c4e01b4.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Paperbags are great...I usually put the loaf, cut side down, onto a plate and cover with a linen napkin or dishtowel.
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    Eat the bread. Make another tomorrow.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I loosely wrap in wax paper once it has completely cooled.

Although making it the day you need it is the best method.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Mr Holloway
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. B)