Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temperature

Options
knarf
knarf Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’m having problems getting the temperature up. The first few times I used the egg the temperature was fine. Now after several uses I can’t get the temperature past say 350 %.
I believe the problem may be airflow – that is I’m reusing the ‘lump’ but the size of the lump is now small and it is therefore more compact, even when I add some new lump to it. Is this a typical problem? How do I continue to reuse the lump and still get high temperatures?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yeah, big piles of tiny lump pieces construct the air flow. Even fresh lump from the bottom of the bag. And used lump does have a coat of ash that evidently limits the burn.

When re-using lump, be sure to stir the pieces to knock off as much ash as possible,and then scoop out the debris from the bottom vent. If the lump is in its 3rd - 4th use, take it out, put a couple of good sized fresh chunks at the bottom, and re-load, or stir a 50 - 50 mix of old and new.
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    Yep, something is blocking the air. Small pieces in the side holes, bottom holes or bottom.

Clean it out and you should be back in grillin business.
  • rogersab
    rogersab Posts: 17
    Options
    I've found that a regular full cleaning works wonders.

I also use a shop vac to clean out the "ash trap" at the bottom beneath the grate.

Every month or two, I remove everything, fire ring, fire box and actually vacuum out the whole thing. You'd be suprised at what I've found down there. Most effective is being able to clean up the little "cones" of ash that accumulate just outside the airholes.

Without doing this, those ash piles would just continue to grow - they CAN'T be good for air circ.

Andy
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    stir the lump well to remove ash, sometomes you need to poke the holes in the firebox clear. are you just opening the daisy wheel to get high temps. taking the daisy off the egg helps to get the temps up as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I use a wiggle stick to stir my used lump and to poke up from the bottom. Then I rake out the ash. I also make sure the holes in the firebox are clear. You and make a wiggle stick from a clothe hanger or you can buy one from thirdeye's site. Click here. Tim :)

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi K
    Try taking everything out of grill and completely clean it out. You can still reuse any old lump that is black and add more as needed. Let us know how it works for you.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997