Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Strip steak like Ruths Chris.

Options
phil28
phil28 Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love the NY Strip steak from Ruth's Chris and I've been trying to duplicate it on my BGE. Finally after many tries I have succeeded. Here's what I did:
1. Cleaned out the BGE to remove all the small pieces of charcoal and dust from the bowl.
2. Put in new BGE lump charcoal. The bag I just bought had bigger pieces than in the past which helped stoke the fire.
3. Opened the top and grate and the BGE got up to 600 degrees in about 20 minutes. Cooked at its peak, about 700.
4. Bought prime NY steaks at Costco. Trimmed the fat and seasoned heavily using Dizzy Pig Cow Lick steak rub. I mean heavy, so the dry rub covered about 75% of the surface area. Added garlic, salt and pepper.
5. Cooked first side for 2 minutes and 2nd side for 4. When I completed the first side it had a charbroiled surface.
6. When I removed the steak it had a very cool center, less than rare. But in about 3 more minutes off the grill it continued to cook and reached a perfect rare to med rare when cut open.
7. The seasoning and high temp gave the steak a crisp coating that was very much like RC.

The key is getting the temp up. Prior attempts I was unable to raise the temp beyond 400. That was due to small pieces of charcoal inhibiting air circulation.[img size=150][/img][img size=150][/img]

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Welcome to the world of great steaks my friend. I cook mine the same way. If you haven't got yourself a cast iron grid, do so. My computer wouldn't show the pics.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I've never had the cow lick. Is it the cow's meow? I need a few rubs so I will be ordering soon. What should I add to my cart?

Don't forget the butter.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Andrew,

Save on shipping or gas and get them all. Then you won't be wondering about the ones you don't have. I mixed the dizzy dust and raging river to win a rib fest this weekend. ;) They all rock!
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Phil,

I betcha your about done eating steaks at restaurants. :laugh: and once you master the other slow moving animals, you won't want to eat outside your house. :whistle:

Have you signed on with photobucket or another pic hosting site?
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    So your saying the Dizzy brand all the way. I'd like to get a few other things too, but just don't know what to try. I have bought from the Kansas City BBQ store (forget the exact name...that may be it) and they have some top sellers that I have to assume are good. I have the Dizzy dust regular and course.

Congrats on the win!! I think I used the Dizzy dust course rub on my ribs (at least 1 rack) and they were amazing. Turned out really good.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sounds great. Good Job .

I didn't realize Costco carried Prime Beef... :ermm:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    It would be tough to have too many of them. If you are cooking about every day, you'll want some variety. I have a stash of empty bottles to see if I can find them again. Mostly stuff sent from other states/countries.

Buy anything that looks or sounds good. :P then report back. ;)
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Not all of the COSTCO's do. The one by me doesn't and I have no idea what determines which one's do.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The Costco on Ga20 carries prime pretty regularly. The Costco in Duluth on Venture Dr. rarely has any.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    WOW, NY Strip is my #1 choice of steak, and Cow Lick is the best rub I've found! Too bad all your photos didn't post (for me). Happy grillin'!!
  • Marc  from IL
    Marc from IL Posts: 499
    Options
    Hard to beat Dizzy Pig. I like to try somthing else to mix it up but I find myself back to the awesome flavors.