Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

I'm a virgin Brisket Smoker!!! Help

Bubba's dadBubba's dad Posts: 97
edited 7:01PM in EggHead Forum
I have never had Brisket before - this may because I live in the Pacific Northwest :) I tried to do a Brisket in my new egg. It was about 2.5 lbs and I smoked it at 225 degrees for about 4 hours. I know I know I need to get a meat thermometer - I just ordered it. I thought that it turned out a little dry. Is it supposed to fall apart like pulled pork or is the texture a little tougher. Please help me with this. Please give me anything you can

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,584

I am no brisket expert but usually people do whole brisket with a bit of fat left. The point isn't sliced but cut into cubes for burnt ends. When a brisket is ready the meat will twist without any resistance on a fork. Meat grade matters too.
    Bubba Tim and Thirdeye have great info on their sites

Caledon, ON

• fire eggerfire egger Posts: 1,124
    Hey Stew
    Briskets that smalll are difficult
    the thermometer is very important, makes life much easier.
    second, I am assuming you used a very small flat, try at least a 6 lb flat, I prefer whole packers. 9-10 lbs.

go to thirdeyes site, linked on your previous post, he has a lot of good info.

you can do it, take your time, learn and have fun
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    That was 1 small flat, try to get 6-7 lb flats or larger packers. Briskets are a tough cook. I would suggest foiling at some point like after 3 hours.

• impag10impag10 Posts: 58
    anything need to be added once you wrap it in foil? sauce or anything like that? I am doing a 7LB flat this weekend
    I would suggest apple juice. 1/2 cup, double wrap in foil.

• impag10impag10 Posts: 58
    thanks...always following your advice cuz your ribs are insane!
    Thx for the kind words.

• Do you all baste your brisket while it is cooking? I was so disappointed about how it turned out today but I think I tried one that was too small? I will not give up.
    Basting is for smokers that don't retain heat and moisture.