Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rookie request

Options
alex sifford
alex sifford Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi. folks. Good to be with you. For my first "big" attempt, I will smoke a 9 lb pork butt this weekend. I think I understand the basics but wonder if and how to reload the charcoal for an 18 hr smoke. Is one firebox sufficient without reloading ? We have 14 people coming so I prefer not to screw up. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    No need to reload, just fill her up and go! One of the beauty's of the egg, she will hold a fire for 24 hrs or more. Fill at least to the top of the firebox, maybe a little higher, up into the ring, you will be fine. Remember, you can use the unburned lump for your ext cook, little or no waste :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Fill to within 1 inch of the top of the fire ring and you should get over 25 hours at 250 dome. The last time I let one burn it went for 34 hours
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Alex,

Simply fill it up before you start. For sure to the top of the fire box, or a little more. That will get you all you need at 250 degrees dome temp.

Keep in mind it could be done in 14 hrs. it also should spend at least an hour in the foil/towel/cooler set-up.

The most important part would be to let that egg stabilize for a good hour before adding the meat.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Agree, 1" from the top of the fire ring right under the plate setter.
  • LoProRedneck
    Options
    Guess it depend on the lump you use, but I fill to the top of the firebox and half is left 16 hours later. My first pulled pork was done using a very detailed recipe from the naked whiz site. Recipe is under pork called North Carolina style pulled pork - Elder Ward. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm. A good place to start.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    what size egg do u have with medium fillit to just under the plate setter
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    alex sifford, Welcome to the forum. I have a large egg and like everyone else said I also fill my firebox full of lump and then some. You could if you wanted to put three or more butts in your egg at the same time and get the same result and have the same lump left over in the end. Have a great cook and enjoy you 14 plus guests. Tim ;)

Here my egg is full of fresh lump ready for a butt cook. If you have some wood for smoke simply mix it in.

000_1532.jpg
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The Ceramic Charcoal Cooker FAQ is your friend: The Ceramic Charcoal Cooker FAQ

Good luck on your cook!
    The Naked Whiz
  • rogersab
    rogersab Posts: 17
    Options
    What everyone else said -

Coming from a "traditional" (metal) smoker I had my panties all in a twist about the fire going out and made myself crazy the whole 14 hours the first time I did a butt.

Now when I'm having people over I'll do my low-and-slow stuff all day (sometimes starting the night before) and still have plenty of lump left to grill red meat (probably not at 650 temps though), veggies and then enough still to bake dessert.

The egg is incredible in this regard. My only regret is not buying one years ago.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    What is the deal with the foil and towel in the cooler? Any information would be appreciated.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    i just put it in the bowl i'm going to shred it in, and cover with foil a bit to rest. maybe a half hour to an hour. you don't 'need' to put it in a cooler. but in a cooler it will last four or more hours without really cooling much (if you need to travel, or if the pork is done early)
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'm really looking forward to cooking a pork butt soon.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • tigeregghead
    Options
    2Fategghead,
    This might be a silly question, but do you sart your lump small and then add to the rim? Or just light it at the top and go?
    This will help prevent me from worrying all weekend.
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    tigeregghead, I dump my lump out of the bag and light it. If that is what you are asking.

Now If I'm getting ready for a butt cook I will light my lump in 3 or 4 places. I will be sure my egg is stabilized at 250° with the plate setter or whatever in place and a drip pan above the plate setter. Tim

Check your email
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    I'll just throw in my experience. First time (without a thermometer remote by my bed) fire went out. I'm pretty sure that had I poked it before I went to bed, it would have been fine. Poked it as in using a pokin' tool (can be a coat hanger but I'd suggest 1/8" stock, place a 90 degree bend with a 2-3" arm) through the lower vent to jostle the coals through the bottom coal grate. Improves air flow to assure a good long cook.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Here is a third hand and a wiggle stick. They can be purchased from thirdeye. ;) Tim

Click here and scroll down and read about them.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html

000_0976.jpg