Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Avocado smoked cheese

edited 6:21PM in EggHead Forum
I just smoked my first..... cheese.

I got some avocado wood from a friend with an avocado orchard (and about 1000 avocado's) so I thought I would try smoking it.

This kind of reminded me the first time I did a pork shoulder. For some reason, intimidating at first, you do it once and you realize it's super easy.

Temperature never registered on the thermometer so I figure I did that right. One of the benefits of the high mass of the egg. If it did start to get up there I was ready to throw some ice in a drip tray onto my stone.

Anyway, pretty successful. :)

Here it is:

Put holes in peanut can:
IMG_4513.JPG

Get some previously burnt lump up and cooking.
IMG_4515.JPG

Add wood. It would have been better if there was twice as much wood cut into smaller pieces. Still worked well though. Hey! It's my first day! :) I left the old lump in there because I'm cooking later anyway.
IMG_4516.JPG

That is avocado smoke. Don't eggheads have 50 ways to say smoke (I know one: smoke)
IMG_4520.JPG

Finished product. I was surprised it didn't change color. It tasted smokey (and good). It really needs a day to figure itself out.
IMG_4523.JPG

Avocado is a decent wood to smoke with. Thanks for looking.

Comments

• popagar0popagar0 Posts: 136
    what kind of cheese did you use? how long did you smoke it?
  • It is super easy, isn't it!
    What type of cheese did you smoke?
    Let it rest a few days, if you can :evil:
    Some say a week or two, but that's real hard to do :blush:
    What was your ambient temp?
    Nice job from the looks of it B)
  • It was old irish cheddar.

I threw it in for an hour - it should have been more I think. I also think it would be useful to have the cheese at room temperature when you put in on. I had it in the freezer for 30 mins before hand. I think the inevitable condensation got in the way of a decent smoke.

I was mostly just screwing around today. I should have stirred chips or the pieces of wood throughout. Oh well. I know what to do next time (isn't that the way it always is). :)

The temperature never registered on the egg. I must have kept it below ~150F.