Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Which Wood for Smoking ....

Desert Oasis WomanDesert Oasis Woman Posts: 5,604
edited 2:12PM in EggHead Forum
Lamb marinated in dijon mustard/tarragon ???

Thanks B)
·

Comments

• texasAUtigertexasAUtiger Posts: 154
    I've been on a cherry kick lately so that's what I'd try.
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,394
    Avacado. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • was wondering if the avacado would hold up to such a strong marinade...
    ·
  • always a fav here at the Desert Oasis....
    ·
    I think so...you could add another flavor wood with it.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    ·
  • please describe the taste of this smoke flavor :)
    ·
    Buttery and mellow. Like a hippy. B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    ·
  • :laugh:
    ·
  • RhinoRhino Posts: 39
    Has anyone tried Sassafras wood? I'm toying with the idea of ordering some chunks.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    Olive!!!!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • haven't tried that yet...please give us your opinion after trying :)
    ·
  • oooohhh! That sounds really good, Steve...
    can you send me some, please? B)
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    Kari,

Steven Raichlen has a brand, boxes or branches. It is heaven with lamb!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,840
    I like to use sassafras on my ribs. It's kinda like a cross between pecan and cherry withy a touch of hickory. Good stuff. :)
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Mango Tree
    ·
    Really, you have that? Bet that's great stuff!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    ·
  • thanks for the description, Steve B)
    ·
  • thanks! will check it out!!
    ·
    Will bring you some next time we meet Molly
    ·
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Its good for smoking in the shower!! :laugh: :laugh:
    ·
    Denver, right?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    ·
    B) :laugh: :whistle: :silly:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    ·
    Either ...Denver or the Nieggara Fest, will let you know
    ·
  • what about Plano in November????
    ·
  • That is good to know. I just picked up a few logs of avocado today. I was thinking of trying to smoke some cheese or salmon with it.
    ·
  • would have gone with the avacado, 'cept those are LOGS, Molly :silly: gonna have to find the man with the hatchet!!

would love to try the olive, but have to get, first...

decided on a small piece of apricot -- Thanks, Cookn biker :)

fire going...
    mustard greens with bacon and green onion tops
    potato latkes with green onion stems
    bearnaise sauce made and in waiting mode (Thanks, Doug and Randi, that was SSOOOO good in OKC!!)

Later all B)
    ·
  • B) was thinkin' cheese, too :)
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DCS04703swamprb.jpg

I sometimes use a unique flavor wood for lamb.... A friend in Washington sent me some oak staves from barrels that are used for aging by one of the wineries.

DSC04700.jpg

DSC09842a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
    Kari is it plano as in flat?? :P
    ·
  • I'm smoking some aged Irish cheddar right now with Avocado wood right now. I'll let you know how it turns out. I was going to let it go an hour.

I'm doing the peanut can thing. Seems to work ok so far. not sure if it'll stay lit but we'll see. :) Looks good so far!
    ·