Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Controller. Who *really* needs one?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can’t imagine owning an Egg without having a temperature controller for low and slow (slow mostly) cooks. I’m not trying to start a flame war (too easy); it is just a personal thing. I am getting weary of the silly, whining arguments about keeping the “Q” pure when all of us are using 20th century technology to cook our meals. All too often I see people (myself in this case because I’m one of the electronic types) taking guff about buying overpriced toys to compensate for some lack of fire building skill, but those arguments completely miss the point.[p]Today was a perfect example.[p]My neighbors promised their relatives that I would make pulled pork, but lunch on Saturday was the only option – dinner wouldn’t work. Given the work schedule I didn’t have very many options.[p]I came home early for lunch today and put a 6-7 pound butt on the egg. I didn’t have the time or luxury to build a “correct” fire much less get the whole thing started in any rational fashion. Slapped everything together, torched it, flipped the switch, and watched for about 20 minutes to make sure everything was stabilized – then bolted back to work.[p]Everything is exactly where it should be 10 hours later - this after coming home late and having dinner out with relatives. I simply can’t imagine not having the option.[p]This also isn’t an advertisement for the Guru; I made my controller long before I knew that there was even an option to “buy” rather than “make”. Understanding (and appreciating) the art of “flying by the seat of the pants” does not negate the occasional necessity for this kind of technology; the alternative would be doing without and I don’t choose that option.[p]Maybe not everyone has as hectic a schedule as I do and can spend the time tending a low-and-slow (my hat is off to your tenacity). Personally, even if I did have the time I would still use the temp controller – guaranteed results with the flexibility to do other things in the meantime. That is luxury that I choose to enjoy.[p]Modern convenience?,… Yep. So is the Egg.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    pivotizer, "I can’t imagine owning an Egg without having a temperature controller for low and slow (slow mostly) cooks. I’m not trying to start a flame war (too easy); it is just a personal thing. I am getting weary of the silly, whining arguments about keeping the “Q” pure when all of us are using 20th century technology to cook our meals."[p]Sir: You interlaced your comment's quite well with the words "silly", "Whining" and "keeping the Q'pur" while expressing your opinion. Words one could express an opinion using a better choice. I take this one as a direct insult regarding my comments. When I suggest, that one take a 3000 or more year old technology, and learn the basics of using this piece of cooking apparatus as we have used it for the last 40 years, is not IMHO "Silly" nor is it "Whining".
    Once you save up your pennies worth to buy the cooker of your choice, and you experience at the very least amount of money out of pocket, the great meals it will deliver, then go buy your expensive little "silly" toys and then you will have more time to spend "whining" about some elses opinion.
    C~W

• Char-Woody,[p]Oops, started a flame war anyway. I actually wasn’t aiming directly at you. However, you have been fairly vocal about not “needing” electronics with these ceramic rigs – true, but the public service message gets lost in the constant battle to beat the technology down.[p]I’ll boil down the argument that I keep hearing to one statement –we can debate the statement and not shoot arrows at each other (I do defer to your experience compared to mine). What I keep hearing is:[p]“First learn how to build a proper (for lack of better words) fire and control the temperature without gadgets”. It is usually implied that after learning this skill a temp controller becomes superfluous. [p]I’ll also endeavor to leave out the completely subjective words (I did think that “silly” added some punch – I take your point that it was too pointed, my apology).[p]I don’t claim that you, Char-Woody, need a controller. You however have made it fairly clear that relying on one is somehow wrong (subjective - I may have misinterpreted your thrust). If my post sounded like it had a gripe, it was the collective wrongness that kept getting thrown up in the face of temp controller users. Not you specifically, but yes I do remember that you did comment. [p]By the way, don’t stop commenting; just because I occasionally disagree with your opinion doesn’t mean that I don’t like sharing (albeit sometimes sparing) with ceramic grill master (I’m working on the master part, handicap and all).[p]Pivot

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    pivotizer,
    just like having cruise control on your car, need to know how to drive without one but its nice to have on a long trip.

• Char-Woody,[p]Double oops. I couldn't figure out why you took my post personally. I checked the other board and you wrote a morning story that had enough salient points about what I brought out in my post to make it impossible to think I wasn’t aiming directly for you.[p]Bad timing – I didn’t read that post until now (I’m not saying that I agree with all the points, I only skimmed it).[p]Sorry about the timing – I’ll comment directly over there if I disagree.

• jwitheld,[p]
    I still remember when you said my original controller looked like an Apollo breather – darned if it didn’t. An embarrassing looking rig it was. I’ve since made a much more elegant solution, but I don’t have the skill to make it as slick as Fred’s products.[p]I doubt that his Guru can hold a candle to how tight my PID controller can hold the temp (+- 0.5 degrees) but who really cares?
    Do you use the ramp-down feature (I don’t have the option).

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    pivotizer,
    I use the ramp mode for the very same reasons you listed in favor of using a temp control device.[p]Good example for me, the other night, Tuesday actually, I started a 5.5 # butt about 7:00pm. I had the guru set at 212 grid and 195 meat. I watched it very infrequently until about 11:30 when I crashed. I had a work call at 3:00am and fell back asleep about 5:30. I crashed hard and ended up over sleeping until 12:30 pm (guest was arriving for lunch at 1:00). I checked the meat and the Guru and it was blinking on meat and pit temps and it was beeping it's head off. I wasn't sure when it had hit 195 internal until my neighbor yelled across the fence thanking for me for shutting up the damn beeping that had started at 7:00am.[p]So it was nice to wake up (very late) to perfectly done and held meat that had been held at temp for over 5 hours...still not sure how it ended up being such a quick cook, but that's the nature of the beast.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    pivotizer,[p]Hey we can disagree and no hard feelings. I like my electronic toys as well as anyone.[p]For me Q'ing is a hobby and something I can take personal pride in that I personally made myself and not in some automated oven. If I wanted to go that route, I'd just stay inside with oven cooking or some old gasser.[p]Give me my coals and beer. I find it relaxing to escape the fast paced world of quick and easy "everything" and sit around the pit and enjoy friendship while tending the cooker. If all I was after was the finished product, I could run down the road to the nearest Q joint and just purchase a plate. That is even "more" convenient.[p]Not flaming or taking sides on this issue.... just stating my opinion even if opposite from yours.[p]Beers to ya and compliments to a well done outdoor "kitchen".[p]Bob

• Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    Options
    Bob,
    One would assume that you make your own beer and drink it warm.
    Jose'

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Bob,[p]Well said. I agree there's something to tending the fire, watching the slow progress, and just plain kicking back and relaxing. For me, a low and slow cook is all about that, not what else I can do while it's going on. [p]And, I can take pride that the result was due to my hard work and growing talent.[p]To each his own...
    Tonia
    :~)

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    pivotizer,[p]At this time I have not felt the need to buy a "BBQ GURU", but may at some point. I agree there are MANY features that make a "cruise control" type device attractive, but for me, the cost is what's holding me back. I have been successful smoking for 18-20 hours without any help.[p]I think next, I will add a small egg to my large and mini. The CFO ... I mean wife is suspicious of any egg related purchases![p]smokey_ani.gif
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    pivotizer,
    I'm a non Guru guy and find the device intresting, but like modern electronics, my Kitchen Aid oven does the same thing as the Guru does only in the house. A lot of issues with the area we live has a lot to do with the way a fire burns. In high humitity areas, fires do not burn as well as they might in lets say Las Vegas. I toss my lump in straight from the bag and never had a fire go out in over a year. Rushing home and rushing to use the Egg, may cause unforseen problems, fires going out. 'Haste makes wastes'
    I currently dont have plans for a Guru. Its not the money, its the reason to have one. No problems exist for me to have it. If I really need to do a long low and slow let nature do its thing, or my oven. The Egg is thousands of years old, there is some reason they are still here today. How many Guru's are sold to match a "Klose" made Pit for high end competion?
    My thoughts in a non flame responce.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    pivotizer, My compliments. It was late, and I reacted to the negatives quite quickly. We both have our positive points. I would not put a unexperienced road driver in a hot car in the indianapolis 500 without some prior training. For them, a long training period. For ceramic cooks, much shorter, but needed non the less. Your posting made it seem that "anyone" who did not desire, or fullfill the "need" for a Guru, could not cook without one successfully. Not true. We have done it for a great many years. A Guru is a crutch. An instrument to apply to do something that you neither have the time for, or the experience to achieve. It's a beautiful, high end, expensive addition to the ceramics cooking world, but its not a item needed for high quality, "hands on" great BBQ.
    We tend to push an item for a "group therapy" join the club requirement. I like your intellect. Your O.K...and my cyber handshake..
    C~W

• Char-Woody,
    Hats off to both you and pivotizer, You for kinda "rattlin' the cage" and the two of you for kinda "keepin' it 'tween the ditches", i.e., neither extreme left or right, just good honest info. Mostly a lurker, but in being so gain a lot of good info and ideas. To both of you congrats, thanks, and keep up the good work. 'Nuff Said.

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Lamar, thanks, your o.k. too. I wish the world was so balanced.
    C~W

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    tach18k,
    competitors at major cook offs are using the guru on lots of pro rigs like the klose. dont have any numbers for sales but id bet fred or bob does.

• pivotizer,[p]I agree with you 100% I was actually thinking about posting a very similiar response but you took care of it.....Steve

• Char-Woody,
    "A Guru is a crutch. An instrument to apply to do something that you neither have the time for, or the experience to achieve. It's a beautiful, high end, expensive addition to the ceramics cooking world, but its not a item needed for high quality, "hands on" great BBQ."[p] Some one like you, with unlimited time and unlimted cooking knowledge, should be sitting on your haunches around an open fire poking at your meat with a short stick. It is clear that you don't need any "crutches" for perfect "hands on" great BBQ every time because you have the "experience to achieve". After you have done this,then I think you can get on your soap box and preach to the uninlightened masses who don't yet have knowledge of, or appreciation for "your art". Why put paintings on the chappel ceiling? Will they help hold up the roof?
    Do I think you went a little to far? Shotgun Fred

• pivotizer,
    I am not saying I may not have a problem in the future, but I have yet to have a problem keeping my Egg stable. I have done butt's for 16 hours, pulled them, let the Egg smolder for 4 hours, get the temp back to 350 for chicken, and still have enough lump to get it up to 650 for the Trex method for steaks. Personally, I like the Jerry way of doing steaks. Crank up the flames, seer both sides of the steak, put it on a plate and eat it medium rare.[p]Jerry

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Shotgun Fred,[p]I mildly object to calling any technique or device a crutch if it does what it is supposed to do and produces the desired results.[p]I suppose the folks who cooked in holes in the ground would view ceramics in general as a crutch, eh? Is the daisy wheel a crutch for those who can't keep the ceramic top from falling off? Is charcoal a crutch for those who won't take the time to properly burn hickory logs down to coals before adding them to their cooker? [p]Frankly, I think those who don't want or need to use a Guru should not buy one. Those who do want or need to use a Guru should. Neither should be labeling the other based upon their needs or wants.[p]TNW (who uses the Guru when he wants or needs to)
    The Naked Whiz
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, and Shotgun Fred, your both missing the point.
    Everything beyond the basic cookers design is a "crutch" to assist the needs of the individual. Even aluminum foil.
    Even my "Wiggle Rod" or the top cap slider which is in itself a innovation from the basic design.
    The top cap is nothing but a weather seal and a means to kill fire, has nothing to do with cooking meats or ??
    My soap box could get expanded to an even more personal level when one gets into profit motives or personal ego trips.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,
    OK, Now that you are standing erect and shaking your "wiggle rod" I will put my ego on hold..........If you will also. Just remember,in spite of my profit motive I read these things too and jerky is jerky no matter how thin you slice it. I enjoy reading your post. Shotgun Fred

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I don't think I'm missing the point, I'm trying to make one. In these forums, including the BBQ Forum, "crutch" is almost always used as a pejorative term. I don't see the need to label the Guru or any other device (including your wiggle rod) as a crutch. It is what it is, some folks use them, some don't. I know that you weren't dissing anyone for using a guru, but calling it a crutch comes off in a negative way. [p]TNW (who isn't using a Guru right now for his leg of lamb :-))

The Naked Whiz
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Shotgun Fred, Thumbs up, and I do admire the quality of the merchandize. Good stuff, but I will stick to my story that its not a necessity. Those like TNW or others that are inspired to buy them, have my blessings. But lets not make the newbie buyer of a cooker think he cannot make first grade BBQ without one. Call it what you wish.
    My ego trip is seeing the newbie cut his corners, and produce Q successfuily. I take pride in his accomplishments more than my own.
    Cheers.
    C~W

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    This has been an interesting thread to follow. In some ways it reminds me the time when electronic calculators were introduced to us slide rule users. Like many, I turned up my nose, and I was on the wrong side of history, as they say. The same thing happened when I saw the first personal computers hit the market. Being a FORTRAN programmer at the time, I judged that those silly things were not real computers; simply solutions looking for a problem. They surely could be taken seriously. They were just party favors in my opinion.[p]I've never been an early adopter when it comes to technology. I refused to own a beeper until work demanded (and paid for) it. Anyone still own a beeper? I just couldn't see spending my good money to give someone else the opportunity to annoy me any time they liked. Cell phones were the same way. I was able to resist owning one until 2000, when the boss made it a requirement. So much for a good night's sleep.[p]And that segues right into one of the best reasons I can think of for owning a BBQ Guru; a good night's sleep. I've been adjusting dampers and spinning daisy wheels for a couple of years, and I have a real good handle on temperature control with a large BGE. I generally do my low-n-slows overnight. Invariably, I would get up and check my dome temperature several times during the night, just in case something went wrong. Now, with the BBQ Guru on the job, I literally set it and forget it. No more nights of interrupted sleep.[p]The other great thing about the BBQ Guru is that I can burn whatever crap lump is available in the area. The quality of the lump is not so important when the BBQ Guru is working. Whether the lump is slow burning, fast burning, big pieces, little pieces, or whatever, the Guru makes it work for you.[p]I've been using the BBQ Guru to do some of the higher temperature cooks too, and it does a fine job there as well. I satisfy my primal urge to burn animals over a fire when I do 700+ degree sears. For these I disconnect the Guru, kick back, and suck on a diet soda. There's something intriguing about that greenish flame blasting out of the chimney when the egg is really cookin'... something about the smell of singed hair when you forget about the flashback...[p]No, I don't *really* need a BBQ Guru any more than I *really* need this PC (after all I still have my old slip-stick), but I sure enjoy the benefits of both. Technology isn't always about filling a void. Sometimes it is just about making life easier for us. Think about the widely accepted Thermapen. Sure, we could judge the doneness of meat by pressing on it the way chefs have for many, many years, but isn't it much easier and much more accurate (requiring less skill) to use a Thermapen? So it is with the BBQ Guru.[p]BBQBluesStringer
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I really think that is the whole point. If you read what's been put on the forum the last few months. In my opiniion it seems as if the majority of new folks are receiving a (wrong) message that you can't do an overnight cook without some sort of electronic tempature control, or that the success rate working w/o one is rather low.[p]In my experience neither of these are accurate accessments.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Jethro, great that someone reads my intent. What has stirred the fire of discontent was my use of the word "crutch". If taken literally in medical terms, then you could put that slant on it.[p]Dictionary.com...represents "Crutch" as "A device used for assistance or support; a prop: a mnemonic crutch. ", which is exactly the reference I implied.
    Websters also defines "crutch" along with medical terms, as "fundamentaly, prop or support".

I think both terms in both references would imply exactly what a Guru does. [p]Its a great piece of electronic equipment, and if one desires a totally automatic cooking device, go for it. I encourage everyone to enjoy the best BBQ that they can make with the time they independently wish to devote to it.[p]Even a fighter jet pilot, gets a real zinger by flying a stick monoplane of vintage models with the wind in his face.[p]Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I think we should all agree that, regardless of what we each use to get the desired results, we are eating the best food you can make at home.
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Mark Backer, amen, enjoy!!

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Das whut ime tawkin bout!! Good grumbles now matter how they get to the table, and sometimes they don't make it that far.

• Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Say pivotizer -

I wondered about those fancy and costly temp controllers. But if I understand this - all these gizmos are simply thermostats that control a fan to increase heat, right?

As a ham radio and home-brewer electronics person, this seems pretty easy, and a PID controller with digital readout, plus a relay and a fan would do the trick, right?

But I think controllers would be useful for long cooks. So far, I've been cooking things with a 2 to 3 hour duration, but not those 10-hour cooks - yet.

But I have to say that I have been watching the temperature of my large BGE after I finish cooking and shut the egg down (all vents closed). I am amazed at how long the temperature stays stable, and how long it takes to cool down the egg.

What else do you do, electronics/technology-wise when you're not 'egging?

-wayne