Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advise for Brisket and Butt dual cook.

Options
phar71
phar71 Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey,

I lurk pretty much daily but rarely post. I want to try cooking a brisket and butt this weekend at the same time. I am thinking both will be around 6 - 8 lbs. Will start friday night, and will want them ready about 2 hours before the USA/England soccer game at 2:30 EST. any tips would be much appreciated. Signed NOOB!!! But hope to one day be more than that or die trying.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I would put them on at 6 or 7 pm to make sure they are ready by noon on Saturday. -RP
  • phar71
    Options
    Thanks. was planning at 225. I only have one therm to leave in the meat, I was planning to leave in the brisket as I think the pork would be a little more forgiving.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and calibrate your dome thermometer and then cook at 250 dome temp. -RP
  • phar71
    Options
    Okay great, thanks.
  • Cheaven
    Cheaven Posts: 30
    Options
    Great post. I was planning on doing the exact same thing, except going with a 12lb brisket and an 8lb butt. Was going to start it right when I get home from work on Friday around 6pm. I was planning on having everything ready to rock and roll Thursday night so there's no time lost.

I was going to try and sneak in a couple racks of ribs Saturday morning as well. It might be a tight fit but I am willing to try my best.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    do what azrp says, you want the two pieces as close to the same size cooking the butt over brisket. i would try and plan to be done maybe 4 hours ahead with them sitting in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels to stay hot. with the extra time you can change temps toward the end of the cook to speed things down or up as needed. brisket will be done a little sooner, at the end of a cook like this if one is getting done way too fast, you can wrap in foil and finish that one in the oven at a lower temp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Brazilian_Egg
    Options
    Does the butt dripping on the brisket affect its taste?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i cut the fat off the but, more bark and less chance the dripping will wash the rub off the brisket. doesnt seem to bother the brisket at all.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it