Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stir-fry tonight...

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

Got to thinking about what to have for supper tonight and remembered we still had some of the roast beef from the other day...so I stopped at Publix and grabbed a bottle of Teriyaki glaze and a package of snow peas, knew we had carrots & onions at home.

Cut up the beef into "bite-size" pieces, also the carrots. Got the Egg up to a nice hot temp with wok in, first put a spoonful of bacon grease, then the carrots for a few minutes, then the onions and snow peas...S060710-02.jpg

Then added the beef and some rough cut fresh basil & mint from our new herb garden (pic at the end) and the Teriyaki and heated...
S060710-04.jpg

Once it was hot, poured it over some rice...
S060710-08.jpg

Now this was some fine, quick and easy eating. Will have to do again soon, maybe with chicken or pork next time.

As I said EggHatter has started a herb garden that is finally beginning to have some growth...
ODK060710-1.jpg

Top shelf is basil, dill, & thyme; second shelf is rosemary, lavender & cilantro; next shelf is parsley, oregano & sage. Also have a large pot with mint and another small pot with catnip to hopefully keep the cats from munching on the other stuff. :laugh:

Just trying to kick our cooking up a notch!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Egghead-Sooner
    Options
    have to say your dinner looks eggcellent! I have had my egg for little more than a year now and at first cooking with a wok had no appeal to me but after reading the forums for awhile and seeing how amazing these wok cooks are coming out I really close to investing in one! Also like the herb garden. Its ridiculous how much the grocery stores marks up the prices of "fresh" herbs, and am determined to plant 4 or 5 different herbs soon!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Nothing better than incorporating leftovers in a new meal. Tim :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Good eats Jay!!! Also, put that Rosemary on the top shelf...lol...my Rosemary is now about 3 feet tall, with stems the size of my index finger!! Don't want to stunt it. NOTHING beats fresh herbs at your fingertips, for sure! Hope all is well with you and Hatter... ;)
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Egghead-Sooner:

Thanks! We didn't do much with a wok until getting the Egg either...now it is one of our favorite ways to cook! Don't think about it...get that wok!

Yeah, the prices at the stores, plus not being able to use all of it before it went bad, was a major factor in starting the garden. Now hopefully we can keep it going since neither one of us has a green thumb :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Tim:

I agree...gotta come up with ways to make the leftovers at least as tasty as they were originally!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Hoss:

Thanks!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Michelle:

Thanks!

We had the rosemary on the top shelf for a while, but it really hasn't started growing very well...the 6 or 7 buds at the moment are only about a half inch tall...it seems to be taking the longest to get going well. All of the others are growing fine. Plus we think the cats may have been nibbling at the dill which is why we moved it to the top! The pot of catnip is on the floor, so why won't they just eat that!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Beautiful Jay, liked the combination ,also, nothing like having your own herb garden nearby..
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Great looking meal! I love wokking on the egg too. I've got some leftover crawfish in the freezer and I plan on adding some when I cook my next batch of fried rice. Hopefully I'll have the time & good weather this weekend, as I haven't been able to even light my egg in over 2 weeks.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wow! Looked great, jay. And kudos to Kathy for the ambitious herb garden! Seems to be the new craze.