Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Is a Bottom Round Roast Good?

Mark0525Mark0525 Posts: 1,225
edited 11:51PM in EggHead Forum
Local store has buy one get one free of this type of meat. Is it worth buying? My wife thinks it's not a good piece of meat. Thanks

Mark
·

Comments

• Weekend WarriorWeekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Your wife's right. About the only thing bottom round is good for is making deli roast beef. Roast to 125 internal, chill and then slice paper thin for sammies.
    ·
  • Mark0525Mark0525 Posts: 1,225
    Thanks Mark, but I wont tell her she was right :)
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    It makes decent cheese steaks
    ·
    Hey, I did forget something. Bottom round is also perfectly fine for making jerky if you were so inclined. If you don't want to do it right away, freeze it and save it for later. I do most of my jerky making in the fall and winter.
    ·
  • Mark0525Mark0525 Posts: 1,225
    That's what I will buy it for. I wonder if the butcher would slice it for me. With or against the grain for jerky?
    ·
    Good deal! Slice with the grain.
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    I'd buy them. As mentioned great for deli meat and philly cheese sandwhiches. Also roast for Chicago Beef sammies, Sheperds Pie, SOS, etc.
    ·
  • MACMAC Posts: 442
    Always go with the grain for jerky. Other wise you will end up with a mess.

Now if you REALLY want to "Q" it, marinate it. Take out two forks and fork the hell out of it first, then throw it in the soup. LOL Sear, cook to temp and slice this across the grain if you want to eat it.
    ·
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    What about jerky? I use it for pit beef to.

Mike
    ·
  • Adult ADHDAdult ADHD Posts: 150
    America's test kitchen turned me on to this roast. It has to be salt and peppered then placed in refridge for at least 24hrs. Seared in oven then cooked slowly. If done right it is as good as it gets. I am looking on site to see how to do this in my new egg.
    ·