Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey parts

Options
penfresh
penfresh Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
has anyone done turkey legs or wings? I have tried them indirect, at 300 for a couple of hours and they weren't edible ;-(
Penny

Comments

• Penfresh,
    Yep, I have tried them. Fist thing to do is brine the legs. Set the Egg 240 temp on the dome and put a probe in the meat for 170 internal. Smoke chips your choice..[p]Jerry

• Pot Licker
    Options
    Penfresh, To bad about your legs, I do my Turkey legs at 300 for about 45 minute with either a Dizzy pig rub or Billy Bob's Rob and enjoy them greatly, keep trying and good luck.

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Penfresh,
    The best turkey legs are done as follows:
    Boil 1 gallon of water and one cup of kosher salt with one 1 & 1/2 oz (small plastic bottle) of McKormick's pickling spice. Let cool to room temp and add 1/2 cup of honey.
    Once cold you have your brine. Soak as many turkey legs as you can (skin pulled down, but not off) for at least 12 hours (I usually go about 24).
    After the soak, rinse and scrape off any pickling spice that is sticking to the legs and pat dry.
    Set up indirect at 250* with a fist full of apple wood chips or chunks and smoke until it reaches 180* in the largest leg. I usually pull the skin back up over the leg meat for the first hour of the cook (helps keep moist and keep the smoke residue off of the meat iteslf). After the first hour pull it back down and let it go. If you are concerned it will be too dry (it will not be, but you might be concerned) just spritz the legs with apple juice.
    Do this and you will have the most awesome turkey legs ever. Joe

• Jwirlwind,[p]I followed your Prime Rib instructions Saturday.
    Came out Awesome!!!!!![p]Thanks!

• Jwirlwind,[p]I followed your Prime Rib instructions Saturday.
    Came out Awesome!!!!!![p]Thanks!