Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some Lub..... What did I do wrong

Options
Darktrader
Darktrader Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys,

My worst dreams came true. I bought a egg last year and have some great success so far with a couple of bad things. Well yesterday I put on the grill a 13 pound Brisket! As a prize for my whole family! I blended to recipes, one from Naked Whiz (the one with sugar) I placed it directly on the grill at 250 for 45 mins. then took it off and put it a Tin pan with a beer and covered it for 13 hours(This morning when I woke up) The temp was as 225(14 hour thing was from the BGE website under brisket). The pan was full of Juices boiling and the meat was all chard and ruined. 83.00 down the drain... I am so disappointed.....

What did I do wrong?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Woah, First let us in on the $83 brisket?? That should have been about $35....

Although it can be done, I'm not a fan of cooking a brisket in a pan, especially a covered one. I'm also not a fan of using any sugar on brisket. But that is a personal preference..... and I'm not familiar with either of the recipes you combined.

The thing I can't figure out is, if you braised it in beer, I can't see where you got the char from unless the liquid cooked off and the sugars darkened the brisket. Were the pan juices all fat?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    My guess is your thermometer is incorrect. If it was covered in a pan then all your liquid should not have evaporated.

Next time just try 250* degree dome temp indirect and cook the brisket until tender, usually 190-195* internal. Keep it simple and you'll be rewarded.

And as a side note, by my math you paid over $6 per pound for brisket. That's crazy high.
  • Darktrader
    Options
    Yes you guys are right, I did pay over 6.00 a pound for Grass Fed beef brisket.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Were you set up for indirect, platesetter etc.? All of the slow cooking I've done and read about here has been that way. I have done some things in a pan and subsequently ruined the pan at least no matter how slow its been.
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    Are you sure it was char and ruined?

Or did you just have one dandy bark?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Paying $83 for a brisket. That is outrageous. Okay, you should have cooked indirect. Foiling or panning a brisket is a good thing.

Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    13 hours in a braising pan is a real long time to braise something, ive never done it and am guessing that might be the problem.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    i would hope the grass was at least Jamaican
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Options
    I paid 4.99 per lb. @ publix and thought I got took, but after reading this I don't feel so bad. I do have to say it came out pull apart tender and juicy.

Tom,
    Dunedin, Fl.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Grass fed meat is superior to 'slave meat (for lack of a better term') and hence is justifiably more expensive. Here is an interesting link that may be of interest to you about cooking grassfed meat.

http://www.grassfedcooking.com/answers.html

Congratulations on buying superior ingredients. You are setting yourself up for a superior meal (once you work the bugs out ;).

Cheers, TT
  • Darktrader
    Options
    Is the meat you bought grass fed? That makes all the difference in the world? I would like to see prices on that and see if I paid to high.
  • jmac
    jmac Posts: 2
    Options
    Iowa corn fed brisket is by far a more superior product!
  • Unknown
    Options
    jmac wrote:
    Iowa corn fed brisket is by far a more superior product!

Fail.