Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Lo/Slow Eye of Round?

TheophanTheophan Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked an Eye of Round roast a few days ago, following some suggestions here, and it was absolutely delicious! But as I think folks suggested it would be, it was very tasty but still pretty chewy (the reason I gather people keep talking about slicing it as thinly as possible). I keep reading about Pork Butts hitting a plateau on a low-and-slow cook, but then having some of the fibrous stuff break down when the temperature gets a little higher. I cooked this indirect (with some hickory chunks) around 325-350, took it out around 125, wrapped it in foil but not towels, the temperature resting got up into the 140s, when it went below 140 I refrigerated it.

eyeRound.jpg

My question is: What would happen if I did it sort of like a pork butt instead, cooked it much lower, much longer, let it get to a higher temperature. Would it ever get tender, or would it just be tough but dry, instead of tough but juicy and tasty, as it was this time?

Thanks!

Theo

Comments