Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on a big cook

Options
Husker95
Husker95 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some advice on a big cook. I have a large BGE and this weekend need to cook a couple of pork butts AND a brisket. The butts are small, about 5-6 pounds and the brisket will probably be about 14 pounds. Can you cook them all at once? Would you put butts above the brisket on a raised cooking grid? Or do I need to plan for 2 separate cooks? Thanks – I appreciate the advice from you veterans.

Husker

Comments

• pissclams
    pissclams Posts: 49
    Options
    I would cook them all at one time just as you described by using a raised grid and I'd do the brisket below the butts.

14 lbs, that's a big ass brisket. I cooked a 9 lb last weekend and it went 14 hours.
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    You can do them all at once as you described. Remember that a butt will take approximately 2 hrs/lb, and a brisket about 90 min/lb. Your 14 lb brisket will want to cook for about 21 hours, while your 6 lb butts will only take about 12 hours. If you want them to finish at about the same time, put the butts in later. Remember that you can leave yourself some leeway at the end in case something takes longer to cook by removing the meat when it's done, wrapping in foil and a towel or two, and putting in a cooler.

-John
  • Husker95
    Options
    so the butts dripping on the brisket isnt a big deal and wont alter the flavor? I might be off on the size of the brisket, but i do want to do a full one and not just a flat. thanks
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    butt over brisket, plan on the brisket taking alot longer. if there is a big fat cap on the butts cut it off, i cook mine with no fat cap on the butts. more bark and less chance the dripping fat will wash the rub off the brisket. i never cooked a packer with butts, i would wait several hours before the butts went on and plan on resting something in the cooler.these were 8 pound butts and 8 pound flats, butts went 14 hours, flats went 12. temp control was difficult with the meat stacked this high, temp probe placement is difficult with all this meat so watch out for misleading pit temps for the first half of the cook with all that cold meat in there

2005012055.jpg

5a1453bd.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Butts over brisket - can't remember the weights or how long but the butts finished first. Seems like it was 12 hours on the butts and 14 on the brisket. Like fish said - trim the fat cap on the butts. Good luck with it.

IMG_1054800x600.jpg

IMG_1095800x600.jpg

IMG_1106800x600.jpg
  • Husker95
    Options
    thanks guys. thats great advice. i appreciate it.

Husker
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    i bet you can get all of them on the 18" grid. If not, try standing the buts on their end, leaning up against each other. I have done this and it turns out great.