Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Tommorow!!!!! Quick Question for all you PRO BGE'ers!

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am following Elder Ward's recipe and just have one question...Is this an indirect cook with a plate setter and drip pan or straight on the v-rack with nothing underneath. Thanks for all your help and all the wonderful ideas on this site. Wish me luck![p]

Comments

• FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    Options
    Chris,use drip pan

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chris,
    If you are going to follow Elder Ward's recipe, you should follow all of it. He clearly says nothing to indicate that it is an indirect cook.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    I use a drip with bread or cookie cooling rack. No plate setter. I cook straight throug for 12 hours at 225°. I don't wrap in foil. When it's done I place in cooler and cover with towel for 30 minutes for juices to redistribute.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice, I am still a little confused. Some say drip pan, some say none? For a rookie what would you suggest?
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Chris,[p]I always use a drip pan. It's an old baking sheet, but works fine. There is so much fat drip from a brisket you can get a pretty funky smoke taste from burning all that fat. I have a v-rack I stick on the baking sheet and then just lay the brisket on the rack. Toss whatever I am drinking in the baking sheet (yesterday it was a leftover bottle of that lo-carb Rolling Rock...leftover from TexasFest!! Toss some hickory chips on the fire and let her go (of course it is a her...ever see a him with those kind of curves?).[p]Enjoy...just resist peeking every 10 minutes. Makes the temps go nuts. And don't panic when it hits 160 internal and sits there...and sits there...and and and. [p]mSharque