Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So far disappointed

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokeOrFire
    Options
    This is awesome advice some of which I learned the hard way.

I want to re-emphasize one point and make it more direct: Ignore all high temp posts you see here and stick to oven temperatures (325-425 on a raised grid or 300-350 if you don't raise the grid) until you get a hang of it. This is true even if you used higher temps on the gasser. It really doesn't matter if the egg can get to 700+ (or 1000+) unless you plan on using it as an incinerator. The only exception may be steak. You'll probably do ok to use the same temps as the gasser, at the same distance from the coals as you used from the "flavor" bars on the gasser.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably stick to the lower temps.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    You got me to thinking....And I've now put two and two together ;) !
    I don't usually buy groceries at Wal-Mart either, but sometimes you have to go there because of availability (RO lump for example) of certain products.
    When I go for dog food and lump I will often pick up items on the grocery list too.
    I had chicken (don't remember the brand) a while back that just didn't turn out right. I thought I had really screwed up!!! But the chicken came from Wal-Mart!
    I may have still screwed something up on that cook....But???
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I am new at the Egg as well, but i can tell you that the cuts of meat that i have cooked have turned out wel. I used to cook solely with gas, now i only use the Egg. I learned very quick, to leave the dome shut and trust the temp thermometer!! The first thing i cooked was burgers dircet heat at 500 deg, and they turned out great, i then cooked chicken drummied indirect at 350, it took a tish over 1hr and they turned out great, i also cooked a tenderlion that night at the same set up i did for the drummies and it happened to be the best tenderloin i have had. The key i think is to leave the dome shut and not open till you think it is down. Remember the time that you think that it should be down go ahead and check it, if not done yet dont leave it on for to long as it will get to the desired temp pretty quick. Take your time, cook slower than you have before if things are getting dry. 1 thing about chicken, make sure you buy the good quality stuff dont buy the cheap stuff, they are dried out before you even cook them! Good Luck
  • the meat has no idea what kind of grill it is on. if it is overdone, it's overcooked.

you cannot cook anything by time, all times referred to are rough guidelines only. always go by internal temp if you can
  • dglas
    dglas Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow what a response. I am grateful there are so many wanting to help.

Some more detail. I have calibrated the dome thermometer - it was about 10 degrees off to the low side. I do have a very good instant thermometer from Thermoworks. It is not the Thermapen but I think it is better as you can use diferent thermocouples. It is called the Mini Thermocouple. It is very accurate as I can put the tip in my mouth and it gives me an accurate body temp.

I have no problem regulating the dome temperature. I have cooked direct - both down low and with grill raised to dome level. I have not yet cooked indirect. With the exception of steaks I have tried to keep the dome at 400 but from various suggestions I might lower that temp.

My plan at the moment is to pull everything off before I think it is done either by instinct or thermometer.

As to temperatures - I tried to remove pork loin and tenderloin at 140. I removed the chicken breasts at 157(they were overcooked). One set of steaks got away from me and overcooked.

I think tonight I will do something really easy like go get a readymade pizza and put it on the stone to cook. I guess about the only way I could screw that up is to burn the crust. ;)

I want to thank you all for the many suggestions and I will spend some time studying each one.
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Seems to me that you may need a guide like a couple of books. Do not get discouraged, relax and learn all the small stuff like fire building techniques and what good and bad smoke is.

I suggest the you purchase the Big Green Egg cookbook. It has all step by step instruction of how to set up the egg for cooking wih each recipe. Also purchase the book Seven Fires, and read it, it does explain how to cook with your senses more so than just probing the hell out of every piece of meat that goes on the Egg.

Relax and start with learning every different way of setting up the egg and cook and inexpensive piece meat or chicken wings out something.

My wife was the same way when I purchased it, but when I cooked on it for the first time she was amazed, and asks for all our cooks on it. I do have alot of experience with cooking by fire so it was an easy transition for me. Be patient and it will come, don't give up. ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

All sounds good and the thermometer is a good one.

The 10° difference on the dome wouldn't cause any problems. With regard to the first post, the other thing to watch for is the lump level distance from the cook level. Possibly you are getting too much radiant heat from the lump - indirect will help with that.

When I first started doing pizza's I had to learn how to set up the egg and what dome temperature so I would get even heat from the dome and the stone to get the even cooking of the pie.

Neither the pork or chicken should be over cooked at those pull temperatures. Do you recall how high the dome temperature was during those cooks and how high the lump level was?

Unless the lump was at a high level I wouldn't expect the chick to stick much with the BGE Grid.

When you are cooking chicken or pork direct try having the lump level low in the egg, just above the holes in the fire box and try cooking at 350° dome or maybe a little lower.

If you can use or make a raised grid.

GG
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hang in there! Once you get the hang of the Egg it DOES produce spectacular results(you'll have to change your mindset a bit if you're use to a gasser). I might have done the chicken bone side down to allow the hot air to flow over the top of the chicken, kind of like a convenction oven, and really crisp the skin.

I also usually dip a paper towel into some peanut oil and rub down the grid (while holding it with tongs) to prep the grilling surface just before putting on the food. I use to have burgers stick a bit, but since doing this it never happens anymore.

The other thing I've done is get a 2" fire ring and put it on first below the standard 4" fire ring, just to raise the grid up a bit. I find this works good for burgers and chicken.

There are gadgets for raising the grid, I have the 2" fire ring because I use it for thanksgiving in place of the 4" to lower the turkey for vertical roasting.
  • RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    Options
    Fasted way to speed up the learning curve. Lump will burn a lot hoter than that gas grill did. That is a good thing once you learn how to utilize it.