Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken _ Foiled Brick?

Options
EggSport
EggSport Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doin another Spatchcocked Chicken (BGE Large) today. It's been awhile so double-checkin stuff:

1) Direct @ 350* ?? Thought I saw some 'indirect' ...

2) Usin Royal Oak Lump and have lots of pecan and cherry small chunks. Saw several posts sayin NO wood __ too smokey ???

3) Goin to try foiled brick on top during cookin. Any problem with that?

4) Bird washed, dried, Dave Klose's Championshp Poultry Rub, air drying in frig for 6 hours.

5) Skin side up first = 20 min, then down =25 min.
What about skin down, then up, then down for shorter times?

Got to get good at this. Some have been OK, others not. Wide open to advice. Can try some cornstarch too?

Thanks,
Tom B (EggSport)

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tom,

The Pollo al mattone question was asked a few years ago. I don't remember the result, but that method is typically done in a saute, or cast iron pan. I remember talking to the poster and she had done it on the egg with excellent results. You are good to go on everything else but I would use a rasid grid.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggSport
    Options
    Many thanks!
    3) I guess some of these had been in hot cast iron pans and the brick flattened the chicken out nicely. Probably not an issue on the BGE.
    2) I will try a couple smaller pecan chunks (cut branches)
    4) In the 'beer' frige on a wide platter so not too bad ....
    5) wondered about burning the skin side down using 'direct' ......

Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I tend to do indirect at 350-400. Just my preference. Direct works fine too. I'll let someone who has perfected that technique comment on it. I use apple wood for smoke on poultry, but any fruit wood will work fine. I like my food to have a smoke taste, and I certainly don't find this to be too much. I find that this gets the skin crispy enough for my tastes, but everyone has their own preferences. Try it both ways and see what you like best.

Here's an example of a chicken done indirect. This was prepped with lemon, fresh basil, and some salt and pepper. Came out great.

6a00e5502e1c0188340115721f3931970b-800wi

A writeup of the cook is on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/08/recipe-lemonbasil-smoked-chicken-guest-post-from-fearless-grill-.html if you're interested in reading it.

Good luck with your cook.

-John
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I just did another last Sunday, it was a "young, tender" bird; I rubbed under the skin as much I could with Simon and Garfunkel, EVOO, Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper; did it raised rig direct at 300 - 325 dome; went skin down for 20 minutes with two small chunks each of cherry and hickory (small like a double shot volume of each), then skin up till 160 breast. It took about 60 minutes. Pretty tasty that way and skin crisped up without burning.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • EggSport
    Options
    That's a fine site and I've saved the link for future reference. Your 'pushed' for time' comment is helpful as I was not sure how going indirect might make the cook time a bit long. The prep detail is great and the lemon & basil are family favorites.

Thanks and regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)
  • EggSport
    Options
    Raised grate seems consistently the way to go. Direct or indirect offers alternate ways which both work well. I'll likely be lazy today and go direct, raised, couple small cherry chunks. Got to get that bird out now and stuff some goodies under the skin !

Thanks and regards,
    Tom B
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    direct 350 to 400 raised grid. i always start skin side down to start it crisping and flip when it starts to get brown
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Glad to be of help. If you get a chance to try it that way at some point, let me know how you like it.

-John
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Chicken is always a fun cook.

For me hardwoods will produce a stronger smoke infusion of flavor. Fruit woods give a milder infusion. Cherry is one of my favorites but apple, peach, grape vine give a wonderful change. Jack Daniels chips are also great with any type fowl.

Once in a while I also like cooking chicken with mesquite lump.

Cooking to 165° will always produce a moist breast. This cook was a whole bird.

chicken3.jpg

I always use flavor wood. Sometimes if I want a deep bbq flavor I will cook the bird to 190° - 200°. This will produce a completely different texture and flavor in the meat.

I am not sure what putting a foiled brick on the bird will do other than pushing out some of the moisture. Never tried it so I am not sure.

Here is a spatchcock cooked raised direct skin down for 1st 20 minutes then flip.

spatchcocked.jpg

This bird was cooked skin up for the entire cook again raised grid direct.

chicken3plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

If you are looking for a golden color visual use some butter in the seasoning on the skin.

If the bird is cooked to temperature the dome temperature of the cook changes the cook time and seems to get the skin darker when a higher temperature is used.

I can get the same moist cook when cooking from 225° to 500° dome as long as I cook the breast to 165°.

GG
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I've seen Bobby Flay do the brick thing on a grill, no CI pan....direct on the grid. I think it was a gasser, though. I don't recall how he said it worked, but I think it was to get crispier skin. Never done it myself.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    That's just beautiful. I NEVER get skin like that. Was that REALLY at 350? I do 350-400 raised direct. The skin crisps up nicely, though sometimes I flip the bird skin-side-down for the last few mins, but I never get color like that, even when I use cherry wood. Maybe I'm not using enough wood?

Like GG's beautiful chicken photos, that one is just plain gorgeous.
  • EggSport
    Options
    Got the message = Breast @ 165*F !!
    I like your "spatchcock cooked raised direct skin down for 1st 20 minutes then flip. " result and it sounds fun for today.

Tom B (EggSport)
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    That one was at 400, as I was pressed for time, done indirect. Mine almost always comes out with that color. Not really sure why, but we like it. :)

Thanks for the compliments on the photo.

-John
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    And there was no butter on that bird?
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Nope. There was some olive oil and lemon juice under the skin. That's it.

I usually don't even do the olive oil. I did so this time to make a seasoning paste.

-John
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ben,

That and consistent thickness for the birds was the original idea. It comes from Tosscano and it was originally done on a grill. I haven't tried it on an egg either but have done it many times in a pan. I don't see how it would benefit the cook on the egg.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggSport
    Options
    Thank-you all for jumping in immediately and helping helping make a great cook. Taste was terrific, breast perfect (@165*F) All suggestions fit in and worked. Went direct, raised, a bit hot (400*), couldn't cool her down much tonight, skin down and foiled brick for 20 min, then over (no brick) for another 25 min. Still at ~153* so another 5 min to hit 165*.

This is at 45 min check.

BGESpatchcockedChicken_DSC_3040-1.jpg

Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)
  • Stuworld
    Stuworld Posts: 57
    Options
    I used fearless' recipe on my first spatchcock a few weeks ago. Sent an extra chicken home with my in laws and now it gets requested every week.

Lots of great looming stuff on his blog. Thanks for sharing.