Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Question

Options
PapaQ
PapaQ Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning a party for my daughter's 21st birthday Monday. The main courses will be a 20# turkey and a Boston butt. I plan to cook the butt overnight Thursday/Friday, thereby leaving time to do another one if I foul up the first. I'll put the pulled pork in Foodsaver bags and freeze until Monday. The turkey will go on Monday.[p]My question involves cooking time. Sam's has some nice looking 13-16# butts, but I've read I should estimate two hours per pound. Am I really looking at a 26-32 hour cook? [p]Thanks in advance.[p]Paul

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    PapaQ,
    I'll leave this answer to the experts. Just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten you.[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    PapaQ,[p]There are usually TWO butts in the Sam's packages. What you think are 13-16 pound butts are really two 6-1/2 to 8 pound butts. As for cooking time, these size butts should get done at around 1-1/2 hour per pound at 225-250 grid temp.[p]Dave

• PapaQ
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    I'm practicing the TNW's Tao of Charcoal in advance of my first overnight cook and will continue to do so while I wait for my handcrafted, personalized handles. Thanks for the note.[p]Paul

• PapaQ
    Options
    Old Dave,
    I should have thought of that...Dah! Their ribs and chickens come that way, too. Can you give me an estimate of how many buns-of-butt I might get from just one eight pounder?[p]Paul

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    PapaQ,
    I believe the others have given you the answers; but yes a 22-24 hiur cook is common; but the end results as you know are worth the wait.
    Hammer

• Unknown
    Options
    PapaQ,[p]If you serve about 1/3lb sandwiches, you will have enough meat for about 13 buns. 1/4lb serving will get you enough for about 16 buns. This is from one 8lb butt.[p]Dave

• PapaQ
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Thanks for the help, Dave. Considering the crowd planned, I will probably do both butts and hope for some leftovers.[p]Paul
  • Walter
    Walter Posts: 67
    Options
    PapaQ,
    Not being an expert... but having just done the same thing for my son's HS graduation, I'll share my experience. I put 2 butts (7-8lbs. each) on the egg on a raised grid over a drip pan and the inverted plate setter about 2PM Friday afternoon. Kept the dome as close to 250* as I could throughout the cook. Pulled the smaller one off at 11AM and it's brother at 12:30 Saturday. Ended up with at least 12 pounds of wonderful shredded pork - best pull I've ever had - almost no fat left and just the 2 bones.[p]Walter