Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best meat to grind for burgers

Options
Eggwardo
Eggwardo Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all! going to open up the KA meat grinder attachment the wife got me for my birthday this weekend; starting easy, with burgers, so thought I'd ask people's favorite cut and/or mix of meats to grind for tasty hamburgers! then on to sausages next weekend weee!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Brisket and bacon. Grind them together and hold on to your hat.
  • SoonerEggster
    Options
    I've ground my own burgers for years and prefer leaner meat for most of my cooking. I'm not so much in love with a particular cut as I am getting the best meat at a good price. I like sirloin, many of the roasts you see in the case, and some of the round. I usually don't like bottom round if it is really of a coarse texture.

I look for meat with good color and texture, and the amount of fat I want, or sometimes with fat that can be taken off if there is too much. I'm looking at both the fat outside the muscle, which is easy to get rid of, and IN the meat itself. I almost never buy chuck.

Look at the hamburger in the case and note how much fat is in it. It will scare you when you start to grind your own. Look at it as it comes out, fry up a baby burger and sample, and see how you want to adjust the fat content. I cut in in long strips across the grain and feed into the grinder on my KitchenAid Mixer.

There is no reason for hamburger not to taste like the best steak.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I love grinding up a ribeye to make a couple of burgers, excellent fat to meat ratio and you can't beat the flavor...who cares how much it costs, either way as a steak or a burger, it's going to get devoured :P
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    If you ever find brisket for a good price, that would be my choice. Otherwise, chuck. But I like a good juicy burger. If you want leaner, go with sirloin or round. Take a hint from your grocer. If you get 80/20, it's often ground chuck, 90/10 is often sirloin, 95/5 and leaner is usually ground round (I think I got that right).

The ribeye thing just seems like a waste to me...for that price, I'd want steak.

I make a mean chili with a hunk of brisket...half cubed, the other half coarsely ground.

Let us know what you think of the KA grinder...lots of folks here like it. I've been using my food processor, which can be difficult to get a consistent grind...it's fine for chili, but I sometimes get chunks in my burgers. Haven't pulled the trigger on the KA attachment or a stand-alone grinder just yet.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I've had enough ribeyes and plain cheap ground meat hamburgers to know what they both taste like, but a ribeye ground up for a burger, now that's a burger :woohoo: ...regardless of cost or method of eating, both satisfy and wind up in your stomach ;)
  • SoonerEggster
    Options
    We've used the KitchenAid grinder attachment for years now and love it. It doesn't make a REAL coarse grind, but I'm another one who will cut up some meat and use ground as well in chili.

We buy at least 10 pounds of meat at a time, grind it up, bag it in 1 and 2 pound packs, and freeze it. It doesn't take very long and is SOOOOO handy to have in the freezer.

Now I'm thinking about mixing some of it 50/50 with ground turkey the next time for spaghetti sauce, lean chili and such.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    I like to use a mix of turkey and pork when making burgers. My family find them easier to digest than tightly pressed beef, there is an excellent flavour, and the fat in the pork, combined with the lean turkey are my contribution to healthy eating.
    Burgers made with this mix can be flavoured with cranberries, apples, or plums, and I normally season with S&P, smoked paprika, chilli, garlic etc. I always stir some carmelised onions into the mix for a really good flavour.
    These burgers are a big hit in our family,
    Greetings from Ireland, Roger
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    WOW!! What an interesting thread. I have just been reading and getting great ideas. I have a KA grinder that I have rarely used. Looks like it is time to break it out.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    50% chuck, 50% sirloin.
    The Naked Whiz
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I agree. I buy burgers from a steak house. Honestly I don't know if the steaks they use area choice or prime but they are rated as the BEST in my area (local not a chain). The burgers are the ends and fat left over after they cut the steaks. Pure melt in your mouth burger nirvana.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Do you trim the brisket or just let it roll? :huh: I'm guessin the fat would help keep it juicy??
  • bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Options
    My new favorite is flat iron steaks. Just the right amount of fat to lean flavorful beef.