Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to EGG'n need some advice!

Options
ChargerGuy
ChargerGuy Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone, So I will be a proud new owner of my first BGE and was wondering what I should start out with to get the hang of things? Friend of mine suggested wings. Just looking for more ideas. Thanks,

Comments

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Wings would be good also Pizza is not to hard. We love pizza on the egg. Welcome and congrats on your new egg.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Cook whatever you are comfortable with. That way, you can learn how to work your new toy. Wings are fine. Burger, Steaks whatever. KISS method is always a good place to start.
    Welcome to the family by the way.
  • Grilling Away in ?
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken is a favorite of most eggers and you can't go wrong with pork tenderloins. Just do a search here for recipes and techniques. Just don't overcook and get you a good thermometer and cook to temperture, maybe a thermopen.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I suggest you read through several pages of this forum, you will have more ideas than you'll have time to try...and watch the DVD that comes with your new egg, full of info for new users..
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome to the cult!! :)

Chicken is good, so is pork tenderloin.

Conventional wisdom says to keep the first several cooks at a relatively low temp (i.e. no steak searing or pizza cooks). If you don't, supposedly you will fry your gasket. I followed that recommendation. THEN, I fried my gasket - with my first hi temp cook. Maybe the second, I forget. So much for conventional wisdom.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Pork tenderloins are fantastic and very easy. That was the first meal I ever had on an egg. My nephew had cooked them for us and I immediately went home and bought my first egg. Here I am 2 yrs. later with 7 eggs. :)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I would start with something easy to get the hang of temp control. Wings, burgers, chops.

Mike
  • schmeetex
    schmeetex Posts: 69
    Options
    I've had my egg for two weeks and have already cooked steaks three times, pizza, burgers, and chicken twice each, and baby back ribs once.

Here was my post on ribeye steaks from last night.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=866894&catid=1#

But on day five of the egg...did baby back ribs for the first time in my life (and am having leftovers tonight). Really had fun with this and they turned out great. Here's the post from that cook.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=861700&catid=1

The hardest thing was learning how to post pictures. Followed the directions from somewhere on this forum using "photo bucket" and now I'm a pro (okay...just a newbie that got it right).

Enjoy...I'm sure having fun!

SchmeeTex
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The world is open to you. If you will cook your food to done temperature anything you cook will turn out good.

What to cook first... Something as simple as a grilled tuna melt, hot dogs, brats. Chicken whole, spatchcock or parts is always great and very easy to cook. Pork or most any kind of beef, including hamburgers. Corn, potatoes or fish.

Just don't overcook the food and you will be fine.

Don't forget to check/calibrate your egg dome thermometer.

Maybe something below will give you and idea...

tunamelt_2.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

bratsonmini.jpg

brats.jpg

corn1_400.jpg

chicken1.jpg

chicken3.jpg

chick400.jpg

chickspud5.jpg

pepperncheese1.jpg

poblanoncheese2.jpg

blackncatntroutplate.jpg

1stcookonsmall-1.jpg

GG
  • Judy's Egg
    Judy's Egg Posts: 104
    Options
    Learn to light and maintain temps and the Egg will do the rest. Everything comes out great unless you really over-cook it. Welcome to the club.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC06773JPGa.jpg

Welcome to the neighborhood. I always recommend pork steaks as a first cook. In case you are not familiar with this cut, they are cross section steaks from the shoulder butt (which is the front shoulder, aka Boston butt) and are usually about 1/2" thick. They are fattier than a regular pork chop, but this is good when grilling.

All the cuts from the shoulder are very forgiving, so as you are playing with your vent settings and pit temperatures, a pork steak will be happy with whatever you do. They can handle low temps, and medium high temps too.

DSC06121a.jpg

Want to grill them straight up? Go for it.

DSC08896aa.jpg

How about adding some smoke or some spice? You bet, pork steaks love that treatment. Cherry wood is my favorite for pork.

DSC06797JPGb.jpg

Does the family like their barbecued and grilled meats with some sauce? Well, wait until the steaks are almost done (somewhere above 175° internal) and paint some on. Don't leave them on the cooker more than a few minutes because the sauce may burn.

DSC02753a.jpg

If only some of you want sauce, you might try using a foil boat, which helps to prevent burning.

[DSC06130JPGa.jpg

Not sure what to serve for sides? Well, a pork steak is right at home with anything....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    Wow you guys and gals are great! Thanks for all the great advice I am already loving it?
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    spatchcock chicken
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The steak & eggs shot is one of the best you have posted. Almost took a bite out of the monitor.

GG
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Any and /or/ all the suggestions above are great ones…
    I think it was GVO that said do something you like…and learn. This is good advice, I think, and keeping mind there is a curve.
    Remember to get a good burn (Puffin’ Blue) and stabilize the temp. Don’t be opening and closing the draft and vent chasing a temp, let the Egg do its thing.
    As for a first cook….Mine was a 22 lb. smoked turkey! It was easy, it was moist, it was tasty and a BIG hit!
    Welcome and Happy Eggin’….
  • valrune
    valrune Posts: 134
    Options
    My first cook was a pizza that was fantasic (indirect at 500 deg.) ;) I then did a 13 lb. brisket next and it was gone the next day between 6 people. I have no skills at cooking accept for what I have read on this forum ( which is the best :woohoo: ). Do what you know and the egg will do the rest ! Its very forgiving and listen to what is said on this forum !!! They know what they are talking about!