Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

not getting enough heat

Options
GreenEggLover
GreenEggLover Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off, I'm relatively new, but not stupid.

I'm using mostly Royal Oak real wood charcoal and 3 Kroger firestarters. I get the chunks of firestarters going and then carefully pile some charcoal over them.

i have plenty of charcoal..

it takes at least 20-30 min to get to 250...even if I leave the lid open for a while to try to "boost" the charcoal.

Bottom vent is completely open and I haven't put the daisy wheel on yet.

Will some of you eggmasters help...please?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

What size egg?

Most likely not enough air up through the fire grate. Make or buy a wiggle rod and use it.

There is a post on this a little further down the page.

GG
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I'm guessing that you have too much ash build-up,either in the bottom of the egg,or in the used lump.I always stir the old lump,then add new lump(if needed).I wouldn't waste 3 starter cubes every time I lit my egg either(jeeze,that would get pricey) :ohmy: .Just break 1 cube into three or four pieces :) BTW:this is my prefered lighting method(nice and fast) :woohoo:

DSC_0039-1.jpg
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Try this method... I've tried them all, too lazy for most others....

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=821771
    Kent Madison MS
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The cubes are fine. Maybe you are smothering them by putting lump on top of them. Just let em burn on top. And like Sparky said, make sure your the lower vent is clear of ash.
  • GreenEggLover
    Options
    thanks for the help so far....I stir up the coals real good every time I use it and the bottom "chamber" is clear. As for the startes, I do break them up...I use about a 2"x2" square chunk....what i have lately has been smaller chunks instead of larger...would that matter? I can't imagine how I'm going to get some real high temps to seer some steaks..
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    How have you determined that you have plenty of charcoal? I see this problem from a lot of Eggers and the problem is almost ALWAYS not enough lump. Load it up all the way to the top of the firebox and you should be able to get it as hot as you want.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    time for a good cleaning.
    remove all componets and clean out ash behind firebox.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I always load to the top of the fire ring. Some older videos and intructions are bad.
    One cube should be plenty.

Mike
  • SmokeOrFire
    Options
    First make sure you lined up the firebox. You should be able to see through the draft door to the back of the bowl. If you see the ceramic just a couple inches in, the firebox is backwards and it won't get air.

Second, put enough coal in. Don't just cover the metal bottom, fill it up beyond the 5 or 6 round holes in the ceramic. You could fill it up to the bottom of the fire ring. On a large this takes a substantial part of a 8 or 10lb bag.

Third make sure the coal is dry. If you keep it in a deck box or a plastic storage box outside, then it can easily get wet. Wet coal is hard to start and makes a lot of white smoke (steam) until it gets going.

You should be watching out for it getting too hot, not taking forever to light.