Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb in Greek Marinade

Options
eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a 2.5 lb little chunk of lamb leg smoked with some cherry wood. Roasted some red and golden beets and some rosemary new potatoes. I only had 1/2 a platesetter and I seared the lamb, then placed on platesetter half to roast / smoke at 400 to 450 degrees (did not have the time to wait for the temps to drop after the sear, as the natives were restless). Roasted to 135 internal and let it rest for about 15 minutes.

Some ingredients
IMG_2368.jpg

Marinade: EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, Greek oregano, S&P
IMG_2369.jpg

On the egg: Golden & Red beets, lamb, rosemary potatoes
IMG_2389.jpg

Platter and salad with dried cherried, pine nuts, and goat cheese
IMG_2394.jpg

No pics of dessert but it was delicious, strawberries with balsamic vinegar.

Will need to try the Lebanese Zatar next time.

Comments

• Linda123
    Linda123 Posts: 67
    Options
    never had roasted beets --have to try that !
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Very nice Rebbeca. You are wildly talented and a true lady. I would be proud to be your sous chef anytime.

Michael
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Linda, they are the easiest thing in the world to make. Apply a little olive oil and roast them until tender, then slide the skins off with a paper towel. You can add vinegarette, or horseradish, orange or whatever. These were served plain. Try to buy the smaller ones.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks Michael, but what I really need is a dishwasher and scullery maid, lol.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Both of Dhuff's kids will perform well.

Mike
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Eenie Meenie....Great looking lamb and dinner!! Got to love dinner on the Egg!! Sure keeps kitchen clean up at a minumum too! :woohoo: Just finished putting a chunk of lamb in marinade myself for tomorrow. ;) Thanks for posting! Great pics! :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Everything looks wonderful Rebecca.
    I could dip some bread in that madinade, YUM!
    I like the Lazy Susan!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    looks like you made out well even with a broken setter LOL!! the only thing I want for in the kitchen is someone to clean my mess and do the dishes!!
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Rebecca:

Looks like a beautiful meal even with only half a platesetter!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks LC.......hope you went to bed at a decent time (although I would bet money you didn't :P ). I hope Bubba Tim finds the camera connection so we can see pics of your lamb.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Where is that market you got the lamb at? I'm remembering one on Linden.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy Easter Dennis, this was impulse buy from Dorothy Lane Market. I wasn't planning on preparing lamb this weekend.

I get my middle eastern stuff at the market at 725 and Springboro (Southwest corner) or the one in the Breidenstraiter's shopping center on Patterson and Wilmington. The former gets their meat from suppliers in Detroit. I want to find out where Pasha's gets their lamb, as it is always so good.

Hope you know Mike vounteered your kids to be my indentured servants, lol. Just what I've always wanted. Now that spring is here, we will have to get together for a barbie! I also need to speak to you about cooking on the small.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Jay, I could of used a tad more platesetter, but it worked out well with the 'new halfmoon'. May you and Kathy have a wonderful Easter!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Not a problem....as far as the servants go....they do a good job collecting the paycheck.....getting them to do the work is another story!

Shoot me an email.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Hi Ron, I do so much Asian food that when I had my table made I requested the large lazy susan. It is 32 inches in diameter.

Have a wonderful Easter! :)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    wow... dispite the rocky start and the restless natives, that looks perfect.. i do hope the 'natives' realize how lucky they are !
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Wow Rebecca! Nice pics and a great meal. I really have to make more lamb. All I've made is chops but I have to try a roast sometime.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    oh my goodness that looks wonderful. I'm getting hungry. Nice Pics.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    Beautiful pictures. Really enjoyed those
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Wow, beautiful Easter dinner! I know how good it is because DianaQ's family is Greek and her Aunts taught us how to cook, he he he. Your lamb dinner is perfect.
    Happy Easter Rebecca! :cheer:
    P.S. I'm grilling marinated lamb today. And sorry to see the broken plate setter. I only use mine for baking these days as I've found the ceramic grill store's spider and drip pan to work just as well for indirect cooks and it's a lot lighter to lift in and out. ;)
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Looks like you did a great job of it Rebecca

Ross
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Rebecca Looks like it worked out great for you. Be happy to cut that plate setter down for you just trace the shapes you want in pencil and send it down.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I bet it all tasted delicious. I like the idea of marinating the lamb the greek way, olive oil, lemon juice, lots of garlic, greek oregano, and salt and pepper.

Your dessert was good too I bet. I like putting balsamic vinegar on Strawberries. I have heard of putting balsamic vinegar in a pot and let it simmer on the stove to reduce it and make it thicker and sweeter.

Thanks for sharing.

Gary
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Looked so good, I had to go into the kitchen and put my lamb leg under the same treatment :laugh: :woohoo:. Similar treatment, potatoes, artichokes instead of beets. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Doug
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Rebecca, it looks wonderful. Why is your wine glass empty, girl?

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Wowwwwwwwwwwwww Rebecca you woke up in a very serious mood indeed.. :laugh: :laugh: ..Que Delicia!!!!!!!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That looks delicious. I'm doing a similar marinade on my lamb today.... my only adders to your Greek base were some Dijon and red pepper flakes.

It's a toss up between rosemary potatoes, wild rice or another type or rice..... or risotto.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Doug in Eggmonton wrote:
    Looked so good, I had to go into the kitchen and put my lamb leg under the same treatment :laugh: :woohoo:. Similar treatment, potatoes, artichokes instead of beets. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Doug

Add me to another who's going with your flavoring inspiration! I'm adding a tweak and leaving mine butterflied with more of a direct-grill cook.

Tabbouleh as our side. Maybe some sliced cukes in Greek-style yogurt, too.

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • SoDakEgger
    SoDakEgger Posts: 122
    Options
    Nice call on that Brunello, too.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    VBIbill, those natives, they always want to "eat on time" whatever that is. But then again, I don't think I've cooked one meal in my life that was served on time, lol. Maybe they're on to something.

I'll be needing your knife expertise soon. B)
    CaChink. :lol: