Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Customer Service

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We all know that Big Green Egg provides good customer service, and so does a number of our favorite suppliers of rubs, accessories and interesting recipes. We both applaud and appreciate their efforts.

But we also shop at the Big Box Blue and Orange stores from time to time, if nothing more than to replace a bulb or plant a garden or repair a deck. I'm a regular at both Lowes and Home Depot and have always felt like I was a good customer even though I'm there to purchase a very small item. I've never really asked for or received any serious favors from them.

That is until today.

Yesterday, I decided to purchase a lamp post light to place on the patio near the Coop. Found one at Home Depot and brought it home. Assembled it and stood it up to see if it was what we wanted. Yes, it looked good.

So this morning my only project was to mount the base to the flagstone. That required me buying a hammer drill and a carbide bit and even with all that power I still had a hard time of getting through the flagstone. But eventually I got through and thats where being naturally clumsy came into play.

I readied the lamp post, complete with globes, bulbs and everything else, to be mounted onto the three lag bolts I had put into the stone. I gingerly sat the base on the bolts and reached down to install the first nut.

That's when the Gods of Clumsiness exercised their powers and forced me to release my grasp upon said lamp post for a micro-metric second.

It was at that exact moment that Mother Nature decided to huff and puff and blow just enough to move said lamp post out of my nimble fingers and in the general direction of 'down.'

It is by nature to reach for said object while it is in motion, knowing all along that no amount of effort will stop, slow or reverse its trajectory.

There was a crunching sound followed by the tinkle of glass and the inevitable #$^&@#*(@.

After some moments of self-flagellation I came to my senses and decided to itemize the damage so that I could order replacement parts.

I then called Home Depot's Customer Service and explained that I had only yesterday purchased a post lamp which I was in the process of installing but that a mistake on my part generated a "Boo Boo" :S that resulted in damage to said post lamp, and that I needed to order replacement parts as follows.

The nice young lady, Nancy was her name, chuckled a bit and then very professionally inquired as to the bar code number, the receipt number and the store where I purchased it.

Then she asked if she could put me on hold while she contacted the store.

Within three minutes she picked up saying that she had Adam on the line and that he would help me. Adam then said, "No problem, just bring it back to the store and we will exchange it."

I explained that not only was it my fault, I had already dispatched the container to the garbage truck.

"No problem, just bring it in with the receipt and we will exchange it."

So that's what I did. The return could not have been easier and the staff at my Home Depot could not have been nicer.

I am now in the possession of a new lamp post which will glow much brighter because of the service I received from my Home Depot today.

I just thought y'all should know.

Life is full of surprises. Thank goodness some of them are very nice.

Spring "Old Lamp Lighter With A Grasping Problem" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    AWESOME !!

Nice to know good things still happen in this world of glum and doom!
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    That's pretty cool Leroy.I'm glad that they took care of you :) That's much better then my last trip to Home Depot :whistle: I'm still not allowed back in the store :lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=834159&catid=12
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Did you pay them to install the new one? :laugh: I've also been lucky with some of the big box stores. I called to order a replacement panel for my shed and was told that since it was 9 years and 10 months old that there was no charge since it had a 10 year warranty. I had lost all the paperwork except for the receipt. Didn't even have to pay for shipping. They didn't have to do that, I had no idea of the warranty and my credit card in my hand.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i usually only go to the orange store because of a incident a few years ago. which i will not bore you with

but the people in the orange store have always been really nice....

glad you got it handled.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Now that is a great feel good tale!! Thanks ofr sharing!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Musta had Judy with you! :P She works wonders, you know. :ohmy:
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    I work part-time at the Home Depot.
    What they did for you is corperate policy. We take everything back for any reason to keep our customers happy.
    Sometimes I wonder how the store can make any money by doing this, but they have deals with the vendors where the vendor gives credit to the store for broken items, missing parts etc.
    It's good business because you will remember the customer service they provided and will most likley shop there more in the future instead of with the competition.
    And, Home Depot is a great company to work for as well.
    Bet you don't break the 2nd one!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,814
    Options
    glad you threw away the box, seems i always walk out of the store with someone elses returned broken missing parts etc and end up in that long return line the next day. :laugh: if you want to get confused, go check out the light bulb isle, 10 million light bulbs, must have stood there a half hour looking for a dimmable fluorescent flood bulb with two hd workers helping :laugh: 7 years of college and i cant even buy a light bulb :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it