Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vent Theory

Options
h20egg
h20egg Posts: 168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Forgive me if there's a post on this, but I couldn't find.

Can someone enlighten me on basic bottom vs. top vent? I understand combustion, and how the bottom is pretty much key to temp. But I would guess that one could "choke" off air flow with top vent as well. I would also assume that if you're smoking, you'd want to have restriction at the top to keep more of the smoke in. I've been more or less "matching" the opening top to bottom, but when doing halibut last night (no wood chips), and with a well seasoned (going more than an hour) fire, it produced more of a smoke flavor than I think the halibut warranted.

So I guess I'm looking for basic top vs bottom vent theory. I suppose I could experiment with more open top and rely on bottom, but I'm looking to shorten my learning curve! Thanks!

Comments

• either the top or bottom control flow. you are right, controlling flow controls temp. you can't "keep in' any more smoke than would already be in there anyway, because to slow the flow means the temp would drop.

many of us eyeball the bottom vent for gross control, and dial in (literally) with the daisy, which simly allows finer control.

you coan throw the daisy to the side and use only the bottom. you can adjust with the dasiy and leave the lower wide open. and you can sort of use both. i say sort of, because if your temp is stable, there is one of the vents (whichever is more closed or limiting) that is running the show. ..that is unless you had them matched perfectly, which isn't really required
  • h20egg
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I wondered.

No too keen on fine adjusting up top, as I've notice a fair amount of "leakage" up top. I've seen the posts on the foil gasketing of the top vent. I also forget and have the cap turned so the first time I open if flops back! I'll learn.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Align the screws in the daisy wheel from the handle to the hinge...think pendulum..it will never un-adjust itself...Stripsteak answered ya on the settings but you can just think of it as big temp changes = lower vent..small temp changes = daisy wheel..
  • h20egg
    Options
    Thanks! "Think Pendulum"...I can remember that!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    It's just one of those things that after you do it once...ya kinda slap yourself in the forehead and say...now why didn't I think of that... :laugh: The Naked Whiz's website has pictures explaingin it also..
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I remember seeing a post that was very helpful when I first started, I think it was posted by Grandpa Grub. It had pictures with temp to give a good starting reference. Try searching Temp control and see if you can find that. Would be worth the time