Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Disaster

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure what went wrong. Put bb ribs on at 8:15 spayed them at 9:15 and by the second hour they looked like they were burning up pretty bad. Temp was holding at 250-275 but I felt I had to take them off and foil them. Now I have no idea if they are done. Temp did shoot up to the 300's but last couple hours with lid up slightly I was able to maintain 250. Any ideas what went wrong and most important at 1:15 they will be on for 5 hrs probably toasted pretty well. :sick:

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    To high to start with. Did you go indirect? What did you spray them with?

Mike
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Are you sure the thermometer is reading correctly??
    Also, “lid up slightly” sends a red flag my way!
  • Mark0525
    Options
    It seemed to be working fine Friday night for my seafood feast. Lit great kept temp constant at first. Spayed with apple juice and apple vinegar. Lids been down now for the last hour or so. Both vents shut totally and keeping 250
  • Mark0525
    Options
    duplicate post
  • Mark0525
    Options
    OH well took them off and they were like leather. I think I need to give this cooking thing a break. Probably done cooking for awhile. I leave for Florida on Friday am so probably wont cook again until I get back...which will be a good thing :(
  • sounds like you put them right on the grid directly over the fire, or that you already had sauce on them. sugary sauce will carbonize in a low-oxygen environment. you made sugar charcoal, if that's the case. sauce for only the last half hour, 45 minutes.

and always go indirect
  • sounds like you freelanced the cook. often good to follow a proven method first, especially on the egg
  • Mark0525
    Options
    No I used my platesetter legs up with a pan with water and apple juice in it and the ribs after that. No sauce. I don't understand. I was so happy I was able to control the heat right from the start everything was going well.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    Nah. Gotta get back on horse. I lost my Butt Friday night, did halibut last night (eggcellent, but still learning), and tonight it will be my second chicken. Why? Because after 10 days with this thing it was my first big success and I need the repeat rush of success! Can't screw up a chicken. No wait, I didn't mean that. Now I've jinxed it!
  • sugar in the rub or spray?
  • Mark0525
    Options
    h20egg wrote:
    Nah. Gotta get back on horse. I lost my Butt Friday night, did halibut last night (eggcellent, but still learning), and tonight it will be my second chicken. Why? Because after 10 days with this thing it was my first big success and I need the repeat rush of success! Can't screw up a chicken. No wait, I didn't mean that. Now I've jinxed it!
    Thanks, I need a break :( I had a great cook Friday night and just assumed this one would be good also. What kind of chicken? I've done splatcock chicken twice and both times were great. One with a rub and the other marinaded in Italian dressing.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    stripsteak wrote:
    sugar in the rub or spray?
    I used DP Raging River Rub and very little. My wife doesn't like a lot of rub. No clue what so ever. That's the frustrating part. The heat got out of control briefly but nothing crazy
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    Calibrate your thermometer before another cook. Trust me.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Check that thermometer first off. I don't put rub on the bone side of the ribs as that is against the heat and I think leads to a bit of charring. Avoid that.

Leather ribs sounds to me like you cooked them too hot and fast. Let them go a bit longer and you'll get pork jerky.....been there done that. If you can screw up a cook I've done it at some point.

Get back on that horse partner and show it who is boss :woohoo: