Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at pizza

Options
suke996
suke996 Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, The first cook ever in the egg (Ribs) went great. So tonight we had family pizza night. The kids did a great job making strange shaped pizza, but Dad didn't do a great job cooking them.

I need a place setter. That was the first mistake as the center of the stone got to hot a burned the center of the crust.

The big issue, I can't get the heat up high. It stand around 400 and hit 450, but would not stay high?? Not enough fuel? Outside air temp and wind? It's 32 outside with some wind.

They didn't turn out bad, the first one was a little burnt in the middle but the second one turned out ok. Still had a smoky flavor as some of the BBQ sauce and hickory chips were still in the coals from the ribs.

Big issue is heat. Do I need to add more fuel to get the heat up? Where is the best place to get egg place setters?

Thanks

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Could be several reasons for lack of high temp, but if your Egg is new, and you mentioned you may be low on lump, that could be it.
    Definately get a Plate Setter, and get it from what ever dealer you bought the Egg from or another chosen dealer. If they dont have it, have them order it.
    I wouldnt use wood chips/chunks on pizza cooks, but once you get high heat alot of that flaovr wouldn't be apparent anyway.
    Good Luck!
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    i open door all the way and slide wheel opened all the way or even take top piece to get temp to 550-650
    seems to work great. i use place setter the pizza stone then the 3 stone feet that come with the egg. then i put the second pizza stone. this is the one i cook on.you need the spacing between or it seems to burn the bottom of the pizza.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Heat is a product of fuel & air ...if you don't get high heat .. one of the 2 is lacking ...if you want nuclear heat, you gotta load up the egg big time and then keep everything open.

I have pics of the setup most people on this forum recommend on my website under the "recipes and cooking" section. If you email me off list, I'll send you a link.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.