Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough/technique advice

Options
pithound
pithound Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

Is there a pizza dough recipe that everyone uses for pizzas on the egg? What temps do you guys cook your pizzas at? Any other techniques are welcome, thanks

Comments

• Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    There are as many dough recipes as there are people on this forum! :laugh:

I cook my pizzas at around 550. A little more or less is fine.

Here are two of my favorites:

Quick Crust

1 package yeast
    1 tsp sugar
    1 cup warm water
    2 1/2 cups flour
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp salt

Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy. Stir in flour, salt and oil. Mix until dough ball forms. Let rest at least 5-10 minutes.

You can use immediately or I like to let it rise for 30-45 minutes in a covered oiled bowl.

Makes one large pizza crust.

Pizza Dough – Cuisinart Recipe Collection
    2 packages yeast
    2 tsp sugar
    2 ½ cups warm water
    6 2/3 cups flour
    1 tbsp kosher salt
    2 tsp olive oil

Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand 3-5 minutes until foamy. Using a food processor or stand mixer with dough attachment, combine flour and salt. Add yeast mixture slowly until a dough ball forms and cleans the sides of the work bowl. Knead an additional minute. Dough should be slightly sticky.
    Coat a large bowl with olive oil and cover all sides of the dough ball. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise 45 minutes – 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
    Place dough on slightly oiled surface. Roll out into desired size.

Recipe will make enough dough for at least 2 deep dish pizzas or 4 large size thin crust pizzas.
  • brklynbbq
    brklynbbq Posts: 14
    Options
    The question of pizza dough could be right up there with "what is the sound of one hand clapping" as far as a baffling one.

There are a few things I have learned... but still have yet to perfect, no matter what your dough recipe (half cake flour, half regular... all regular... whatever you find).
    The main thing I have learned is that you need to let it proof more than you may want to, both to develop it's flavor and some gluten strains to give it some chew. Now, does that mean I have gotten a crust that I am consistently happy with? Sadly, no.
    The higher gluten the flour the better... though I can't find find specifically high gluten flour in the stores.

Now for the GOOD news. One of the biggest parts of good, thin, chewy dough is a high temp oven... which you have in the egg! aim for 550-600. But some joints go 800 for like 10 minutes.

Hope these vague hints help!

a
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    I just made some pizza's last weekend and for the most part turned out decent. I didn't have time to make my dough so I bought frozen store bought. To me was fine but I'm sure some will differ on that. I set the dough out on a oiled cookie sheet and covered with a damp towel and left it rise during the day. I came home it was huge :) made my homemade pizza sauce rolled out the dough put the sauce on and toppings. Cooked it on the egg about 8 minutes and was pretty good. It got over cooked by a minute or so. I think the dough was fine.
  • Zinger
    Zinger Posts: 86
    Options
    pithound

Check out this website

http://livefireonline.com/2009/08/24/pizzacrust/

The recipie is out of Peter Reinhart's Bread Bakers Apprentice. It is the same recipie posted by Tweev. It makes a good curust. The dough is quite wet and sticky, so handling it takes a little getting used to. I have had good luck with it.

Bake on parchment paper. I do my pies between 700 and 750.
  • Zinger
    Zinger Posts: 86
    Options
    Tweev

Do give that recipie a try. It makes a good crust. The dough will be wet and sticky, so be ready for that.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Mine for NY style (based on a recipe by Flagpull on www.pizzamaking.com) :

170 grams high gluten flour (KASL or All Trumps)
    170 grams warm water

mix, then let autolyze 20 minutes. Add

1/4 teaspoon honey (1 drop out of a squeeze bottle)
    1/2 teaspoon olive oil (small drizzle from the bottle)
    1/4 teaspoon IDY
    1 teaspoon Morton Kosher salt

Mix into the flour/water mixture, then add

88 grams additional flour (preferably Caputo "00", but white whole wheat adds a nice flavor or just more high gluten if that's all you have)

Mix on "stir" with the dough hook in the KA until loose flour is picked up, about 2 minutes. Then speed "2" for 4 minutes.

Place in an oiled bowl, cover bowl with plastic, into the fridge for 4-7 days.

Take out 1 1/2 hours before you want to make the pizza.

Then shape into a 14" pizza by stretching (never rolling) and top.

Have the Egg/platesetter/stone well-preheated to 450-500.

The Caputo "00" addition is my latest experiment and I really like it - it makes the dough more extensible and gives it a nice exterior crispness and "poofier" rim than using all high-gluten or part white whole wheat. I picked up this tip from a guy named Matt, also a pizzamaking.com contributor, who I met at a Peter Reinhart bread baking class last month.

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Hi,

I have tried that recipe and liked it. Forgot to take a picture of the finished product though. There's a writeup of my cook using that dough on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/09/recipe-pizza-party-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

One thing I discovered when using that recipe is that while the recipe claims you get 6 pizzas out of one batch, we weren't able to roll them out thin enough in that proportion to cover the large BGE stone. We ended up getting 5 per batch after splitting up one ball among the others.

-John
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I bought some of King Arthur's "italian" style, which is a 00 low-protein clone, but I wasn't happy with the results. This weekend, I got my hands on some 00 low-protein Del Verde (can't seem to find Caputo except by mail order). I will try it straight, mixed w/bread flour, and then mixed with a bit of white whole wheat....taste-testing it all this weekend. Wish Reinhart's tour/classes schedule would take him thru the Gulf Coast!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I’ve shared this one before…And will do so again, because it seems to be a NEVER fail for me.
    It can rise, it can be used right from the bowl, it can be thick or thin…It’s crazy!
    I do my pies at 450 to 475 F. which may be cooler then some / most. But it works for us!

MOM'S PIZZA DOUGH
    Dad’s Kitchen
    (This is enough dough for two 13” thin crusts)

1 pk. Dry yeast
    1 C. warm (100 F.) water
    1 t. sugar
    1 t. salt
    2 T. olive oil
    2-1/2 C. flour (all purpose / un bleached)
    1/2 C. additional flour for the knead

1)) Dissolve the yeast in the water and let stand for about 5 minutes.

2)) Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well with a spoon.

3)) In the bowl…Add small amounts of the “kneading” flour, punching in with your fist until the dough cleanly pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This will take, more or less, about 1/2 C.
    Raise it if you wish or pull it from the bowl and go for it.

4)) Using you hands spread / stretch the dough to the desired shape

And a tip: Rub in a few drops of olive oil into your hands before placing / stretching the dough.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Peter Reinhart's is by far the best i have made.
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    I like the sound of this one. Going to have to give this a try
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Hungry Celeste wrote:
    I bought some of King Arthur's "italian" style, which is a 00 low-protein clone, but I wasn't happy with the results.

Celeste,

I agree - I was also disappointed with that flour for pizza.

I tried all Caputo 00 twice and found it didn't brown as well, plus the dough was very slack and much harder to shape. I've heard it works best for neapolitan-style, very high heat with minimal toppings.

High gluten flour generally works best for me, with the long ferments. It has enough structure to support good air bubble formation and has a nice "hand" even after 6 days in the fridge - very easy to shape, including tossing. I do find the versions I do with part Caputo to be challenging to toss, but easy enough to stretch into place.

I spent a little time over the winter experimenting with doughs that had more olive oil and/or sugar added (using the BBA neo-neapolitan recipe and going with both, just one or the other, and neither). In every case except those with no oil or sugar I found that I didn't get the flavor development I was looking for. Something about oil and sugar seemed to block it and the crust just tasted like bread to us.

I do add just a tiny drip of oil and honey each in my recipe. The touch of oil helps with the extensibility just enough that the dough doesn't "fight back" during shaping. And the tiny bit of honey seems to help sustain the yeast for longer ferments. In fact, if I forget to plan ahead and have to make the dough within 4 days of use, I omit the honey.

Great blog, BTW! I need to add that to my subscribed feeds....

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I just recently learned that pizza places in Naples make a custom blend of low-protein 00 and higher protein hard wheat flour (called "manitoba" by some Italian bakers)...which is encouraging me to do a blended crust. I tend to prefer thinner crusts made with very little or no oil. For long-keeping, we agree: high-gluten dough just lasts & lasts, improving along the way (until it's dead). Guess that's why commercial American pizzerias swear by it; it's reliable and extremely easy to work.