Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen arrived!!!

Options
Petunia
Petunia Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new Thermapen arrived yesterday. Thanks to whoever posted about the sale. I had been thinking about getting one but that pushed me over the edge. I immediately set a pan of water boiling and got out my BGE thermometer. Once I had the water boiling I stuck them both in at the same time. It was amazing how quick the Thermapen got up to temp while the BGE was still scrolling up the ladder. No more singeing the arm hairs trying to check the temp. :laugh:

Comments

• MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Options
    They really are a great tool. You don't HAVE to have one but it sure makes life easier - and food better! Enjoy!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Petunia, I love my thermapen I use it all the time. At one point my thermapen was not working properly so, I called them up and was asked to send it in. As soon as they received it I got a call on my cell phone and was informed I had a new one being shipped to me asap. I have no problems with their support staff. Tim
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm sure what you said about the support staff is true. I forgot to mention that besides the free shipping there was a little packet of Jelly Bellys included. I give five stars to anyone who sends me candy. :P
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Did I miss a sale? They sure are expensive.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    They still are! :) Pen is still $96. Sale (good thru 3/22) includes a free leather pouch and free shipping. Unless there's another deal I haven't heard about.

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_ps0310.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Now you'll know exactly when to take that salmon off! ;)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The other deal was the old style thermapen in the $60 range. You did miss one.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Should I get a thermapen instead of the other type that you leave in while the food cooks?
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    How do you like your steak done? You'll never know when it is without a Thermapen. A steak cooks so fast at searing temperatures, a minute or two can be the difference between medium & well done steak...

eta: Not instead of, but in addition to. The polders are necessary for inserting deep into pork butts & briskets on low & slows.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Weekend Warrior wrote:
    How do you like your steak done? You'll never know when it is without a Thermapen.
    Very good point. Never knew I would go broke when I purchased my egg...lol :cheer:
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Mark0525 wrote:
    Should I get a thermapen instead of the other type that you leave in while the food cooks?

Both have their place. The one that you leave in while the food cooks is great for those long cooks with large cuts of meat like butts & brisket. The thermapen works great for those too, but having the type that stays in the meat helps to avoid opening your egg every few minutes to check. Thermapen works great for the cooks where the other type doesn't, like steak, burgers, chicken pieces, etc.

Like someone else already mentioned, the thermapen isn't necessary but it sure makes life easier.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Oh, you have no idea my good man. :whistle: Just wait until your spending every nickel of discretionary income driving or flying to eggfests..... :blink:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Didn't miss it - just thought I read somewhere that they were sold out of the old ones. No sense teasing the poor guy! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mark0525
    Options
    Weekend Warrior wrote:
    Oh, you have no idea my good man. :whistle: Just wait until your spending every nickel of discretionary income driving or flying to eggfests..... :blink:
    Not sure my wife will like that. :whistle: Trying to get her to be hooked. Hasn't happened yet because I've been fighting the egg so far. We'll get there.
  • Bonehead
    Bonehead Posts: 113
    Options
    Why did I have to find out about this sale?!?! This is going to get me in trouble because I don't see how I can resist this. :unsure:
  • Linda123
    Linda123 Posts: 67
    Options
    what is a thermapen ?
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    The Thermapen is wonderful I have never had a thermontor like that. So Instant.

Patti
    Wichita, KS