Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comp Practice w/ BBQ Maven/Pic Hvy

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BBQ Maven and I did a "real-time" practice run for an upcoming KCBS competition. Thanks to many Eggheads who gave us tips and support. I had a friend who is a MBN-certified judge, has done blind judging at those events, and agreed to serve as our judge.
Our local BGE retailer (Madison Fireplace & Patio) provided the locale and of course, we supplied their customers with plenty of samples -- maybe even helped in the sale of a couple of eggs! :)
We turned in 2 boxes of each meat, with slight differences between them to have comparisons:
A few pics:
Prepped spares (mustard/DP Dizzy Dust):
DSC_0374_2.jpg
Ribs foiled:
DSC_0376_2.jpg
Cupcake chicken (thanks Thirdeye) - first step:
DSC_0375_3.jpg
Moving chicken "balls" to elevated grid (375*):
DSC_0381.jpg
Finished on grid, turned skin down for finish. Sizzled 1/2 of them in diluted sauce:
DSC_0383.jpg
Time to sauce ribs. Carnivore Sweet on one rack and 'altered' Sweet on the other:
DSC_0384.jpg
Turn-ins: Chicken at 2 pm. Sauced version was best:
DSC_0386.jpg
Close-up:
DSC_0389_2.jpg
Ribs next (2:30) - the 'altered' Sweet had a slight advantage:
DSC_0391.jpg
Pulled pork (3:00). Dizzy Dust (Coarse) won out over my local rub:
DSC_0395.jpg
My bad - we got so caught up in slicing and working with the Maven's brisket, we forgot to get pics - it was awesome. It was the only submission that got a spontaneous "This some of the best brisket I've had" from the judge :woohoo:
We had a great time, learned a lot and had great help from my daughter, Tracy, with box preps and presentations.
I think we are ready for the comp (April 3).

Comments