Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX questions

Options
ThunderBunny
ThunderBunny Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Used mine for the first time last night and - barring a couple of anomalies - it kept a perfect 230* rib cook for a solid six hours.
When is it the right time to install it on the cooker? I did it right after the initial start up flames died down. Is that right? Also every now and then, the digital readout would (instantly) flip back and forth between 230* and 235*. It's certainly not a big deal, but out of curiosity is that normal?
And lastly I moved the unit to snap a picture and it suddenly flipped out on me reading 415* and beeping like crazy to tell me I was overshooting big time. I ended up simply rebooting and while the power was off, unplugged and re-plugged the blower/temperature sensor. That got it back on track, but it was disconcerting. Any thoughts?

Comments

• JacketJT
    JacketJT Posts: 7
    Options
    ThunderBunny,
    I start mine the same way everytime - I light my charcoal with my MAP torch, let it burn for 5-10 mins, then shut the lid and turn the fan on and let the DX do all of the work.

As far as the high reading and the alarm, sounds like the pit probe may have jiggled out of the DigiQ.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    The DigiQ has a "snap" feature where it displays the setpoint temperature if the measured temperature is within 5* of setpoint. I'm not crazy about that and consider it a deliberate bug in the software.

I generally put mine in after the fire has had a chance to grow, but before the ceramic heats up. If you wait that long, the DigiQ could conceivably put your fire out as it shuts down and waits for the Egg to cool off.

Mine flips out at times, too. My pit probe looks perfectly fine (other than some darkening from use), but there's obviously an open circuit somewhere.
  • ThunderBunny
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks fellas.
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    The snap feature has a five degree span around your setpoint. Not five away from your setpoint. The reason for this design was because there were too many people complaining that their control wasn't holding temp because they would see 250 249 251 and so on.
    The snap feature is not a bug and was intentionally put in the software.

If you put your control into diagnostic mode you will see real time temp readings.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Kenny
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I realize it was programmed intentionally into the DX, but it's still a bug. I don't like instrumentation that doesn't tell me the truth. I'd be thrilled to see my unit varying just a degree or two around setpoint.